Why do Christians believe that God is three Persons, called the Holy Trinity? How can God be three Persons and still be one God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The same way a clover has 3 petals but is still one plant!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It is one of the mysteries of the faith. And you also need to wrap your head around the idea that when you take Communion you are actually eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Christ.

AND then there's the death and resurrection.

These are things taken on faith...not proof.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Simplistic, but effective, answer Rebecca. I liked it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Because we believe in the bible. read it all the way through a few times, study it and see what you believe.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• people have different views on that. I dont believe he's 3 different people, because, Jesus would refer to God in many instances. when someone asked Jesus when will the end be, he said that he didnt know, only the father knows. plus he prayed to God and asked for strength. when Jesus was baptized Gods voice was heard saying that this is my son, who i have approved. also the scripture, God so loved the world he gave his only son. These things make me believe that God is the father and Jesus is his son. He made us in his image and we cant be 3 people in one.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• the same way we have a spirit a mind and a soul and be one body.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• when I was younger and in school it was explained:

one egg but 3 parts - yolk, white, shell... you can separate all 3 but it's still one egg.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I am a mother, a sister, and a daughter, yet I am only one doodlebopfan. The Father (God), the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are the trinity that makes God who He is. He is Omnipresent (present everywhere at all times), Omniscient (all-knowing), and Omnipotent (all-powerful). Jesus said in John 10:30, "I and my Father are one."

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Another way to understand it is to realize that the word "person" addresses the question of who someone is while the word "being" addresses the question of what someone is.  A dog is 1 being with 0 persons.  I am 1 being with 1 person.  God is 1 Being with 3 Persons.  So the Trinity is that God is one Divine Being with three distinct, divine persons.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• the biggest mistake is comparing God to his creation.
    Anonymous