Parents of Public School Children....

How would you rate your child's education?
How involved in the school system are you, as a parent?
How is your school "ranked" in within the area?
Do you live in a rural area, suburb, medium city, large city, _______?
If you could change one thing about your child(ren)'s school, it would be?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How would you rate your child's education? Its great. They are in 3rd and 4th and have been on honor roll every semester since they started!

How involved in the school system are you, as a parent? I am very involved.  But I am a SAHM so I kind of see that as a pretty big part of my job :)

How is your school "ranked" in within the area? Its in the top.  It wins awards all the time.

Do you live in a rural area, suburb, medium city, large city, _______? I guess a suburb of a med city

If you could change one thing about your child(ren)'s school, it would be? The principal.  She is not very personable :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Education: Not too sure, she seems to like playing and music
    Involved: Not much, but I try and talk with the teacher every morning that I drop dd off
    Ranked: I have no clue what you mean by this (dd is in Kindergaten...)
    Probably considered small town, only 2 K classes, 1 elementary (k-3 or 4), 1 intermediate school (4-5 or 6), 1 middle school, 1 high school.
    I would change the schedule of Kindergateners: right now they go to school Monday morning or afternoon, Tuesday or Wednesday all day, and Thursday or Friday all day. Totally confusing for the little ones!
    Anonymous

• How would you rate your child's education? Better than mine.

How involved in the school system are you, as a parent? As much as I can be considering my work schedule. Not as much as I'd like to be.

How is your school "ranked" in within the area? Top ten percent.

Do you live in a rural area, suburb, medium city, large city, _______? Not knowing your definitions, I'd say small city/suburb.

If you could change one thing about your child(ren)'s school, it would be? It would go to sixth grade. The spectre of middle school next year is a bit too frightening for me to contemplate!

We chose to move where we did because we knew the schools were excellent, and we haven'tbeen disappointed.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would rate my child's education as average (possibly a little better than average).
    I am not as involved with the school system as I would like to be since I can't bring my DD with me to volunteer.
    The school is ranked as 'exemplary' by the state of Texas.
    I live in a suburb of Houston (in a neighboring county) that has a population of close to 75,000.
    If I could change one thing about the school? I would have to say the play areas. Their soccer field has such dry cracked dirt that there are crevasses so deep it could twist and ankle and there are also holes in the field large enough for a child's foot to fall in. I just see a lawsuit waiting to happen, and considering how much money we pay in property taxes alone I don't have a good understanding of why it is not fixed immediately. That, and the fire ant hills need to be destroyed. Other than that I am pretty happy with it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Suburb, and I'm on the ways and means committee of the Home and School Board. The one thing I would change (and am working to change) is to update the technology in our school.

I know many teachers at the school, the administrators and the principal

all and all, right now I would say average or better and improving

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My children are gaining an average education. I'm not impressed. Both of them are (kindergarten, 2nd grade) are bored. I have been supplementing with additional, more challenging educational activities at home. I am thinking about homeschooling. I never thought I would, but I am do frustrated with the school SYSTEM.
    Volunteer 2 days a week, about 2 hours ea/day.
    We are ranked average. Not the highest of awards/achievments, but not conditional. Our biggest problem is we are a huge transient school. Kids are absent long periods when their parents come home from deployments, etc...Military families are in and out. And our ratings based on NCLB reflect. Many kids move into and out of our schools in May. The same time as testing. It's frustrating.
    We live in a medium city.
    Besides NCLB, I think K should be all day, and I think parents should be graded as well as the students on their participation on homework,etc...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Besides NCLB, I think K should be all day, and I think parents should be graded as well as the students on their participation on homework,etc...

Some schools in our area started all day K but not all. My son will be in K next year, I hope they do all day by then.

My daughter is in secod too, she is a Science and Animal freak!! We constantly get her books about science and watch animal planet...you just can't stop...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• All day K, is the way to go. My nieces are thriving in All Day K. Our district is suppose to become all day by 2011. My 2nd grafe daughter is into mystery books moreso than animals...She gets that from her dad. lol But I agree, you just can't stop. :o) Have she read the American girl series books, Sweet? They are really good. She loves the historical fiction series...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• How would you rate your child's education?  Very good

How involved in the school system are you?   Excellent.  I'm an officer of the booster club and volunteer several times a week.  I also teach 1 6 wk cooking class. 

How is your school "ranked" in the area?  It is tied with another elementary school as the best in a 2 district area.

Do you live in a rural area, suburb, medium city, large city,?  Small city, surrounded by lots of very small towns.

If you could change one thing about your child(ren)'s school, it would be?   I would hire back the 45 teachers they let go.  Our district somehow missed out on being part of the 250,000 teacher jobs Obama saved.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• How would you rate your child's education? Excellent now we are in Iowa and out of California.

How involved in the school system are you, as a parent? Very I help 2-3 days a week.

How is your school "ranked" in within the area? top elementary school in our town people try to use addresses of friends to get their kids in this school.

Do you live in a rural area, suburb, medium city, large city, _______? small city about 36k people

If you could change one thing about your child(ren)'s school, it would be? I really can't think of anything.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009