Insomnia

My 16 year old son is suffering from insomnia, alot of nights he gets only 4 hrs sleep before he has to get up for school. Does anyone know a safe way to help with this?

producelady

Asked by producelady at 9:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Try melatonin. You can find it at health food stores. It is a natural substance that our bodies already produce to balance our internal clocks. I use it with my son who has sleep issues...it works great and is completely natural and safe.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• try having him put on a headset cd player with ocean sounds - there are actually machines that have cd's that play white noise sounds.

If he has a video games in his room try removing them and see if he is more relaxed without them tempting him.

Another thing is to have him read a novel on a topic that interests him mildly to a bit more than that. Have him read it only when he first gets into bed when it's actually time to sleep.

My son is addicted to computer games - what a mess he's up until 4 and 5 in the morning!!!!! With my daughter who was also addicted to games I dumped her computer and her ipod. She gets to sleep much easier now without those. Good Luck, it's hard and upsetting I know.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• There is an herb called Valerian (sp?) Root which I took when I had insomnia in college. It helped a lot. It is also non-addictive which is a plus from other sleep aids. It smells terrible though but worked pretty well for me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I actually suffer from the same thing. I know keeping a schedule is important and no tv in the bedroom and if there is dont watch at night before bed. Try not to drink any caffeine and if you do stop by 12. Eating right and exercise in the morning or afternoon can help. Sleepytime tea and other herbs my help. If none of these things help I would suggest talking to your doctor sleep deprivation can be very hard on the body and I am speaking from experience. Good luck
    Nevaeh1lb13ozs

Answer by Nevaeh1lb13ozs at 2:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Could he be depressed at all? I know insomnia is a sign of depression. Zoloft worked for me. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I am 16 and have that same problem.
    I take a hot bath and always lay down by 11 wether I am tired or not.
    TV helps me alot, and doing homework bores me right to sleep so I do it before bed.
    Not a whole lot you can actully do.
    Most nights I still get only 3-5 hours!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2009