What is a good way to punish a 6 year old red headed boy when nothing else works?

my 6 year old boy has the red headed temper and no method of punishment seems to work with him. I have tried taking his toys away, taking his games away, putting him in the corner, spanking him with my hand and have even ventured into using the belt, but all he does is laugh when I use the belt or my hand and screams like I'm killing him when it comes to the rest of the punishments. As of right now he has no male roll model untill January when my fiance comes home from over seas. Any advice for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ours loses computer or his favorite computer game, has to sit in time out, has to write that he won't do something about 10 times, etc.
    Anonymous

• i know he is only six but youd be surprised at how much they love nickels! so first you have to try to stop pointing out the bad unless its dangerous. and make every little good thing he does a huge deal and reward him with nickels. my daughter was so bad a year ago i couldnt stand to really be around her for long periods, i would constantly send her outside. it really works the less bad you pointout and the more good you reward the more good he will do and the less bad he will do.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with the pp's that you should focus on the thing he loves. Positive reinforcement. Maybe consider a weekly chart that he can have a star on each day he does well. After so many days of stars, he can get the toy he's been wanting...not enough stars, no toy.

I love your 'red headed' comment! cute.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Try focusing on the positive and ignore the negative (as long as he isn't hurting someone, himself or breaking something). Get the book, "1-2-3 It's Magic". Read it all the way through and then implement the discipline method. This method is a common sense, no spanking approach to discipline. It take the emotions out of discipline and it really does work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• CONSISTANCY!!!! If you say something you MUST follow through. I work as an aide in pre-k and have 2 kiddos of my own. With experience, i can say that, it is tough not to have back up, but you can do it. kids learn early how to work the system. I also agree with a PP, praise him if you see him doing something good, "I like the way you are..." These are tried and true methods we use at the school and you would be surprised by the changes.
    Remember, the changes won't happen overnight.
    pitt0524

Answer by pitt0524 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009