one positive, 2 negatives, no period

ovulated on the 4th, AF due 17th, took a test that day, negative, yesterday still no period, took a test, positive, tok a test just a few mins ago(i dont know why), and its negative..do you tihnk its a false negative cuz its early? or cuz i took it at night? what do you think? theres no such thing as a false positive right?

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think you can get a false positive, so fingers crossed for you, keep me posted!
    mmoleader

Answer by mmoleader at 9:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would agree there's no such thing as a false positive, but I've never heard of getting a negative after getting a positive. Maybe the last test was bad? If you aren't using an early detection test, I would go get one of those and try again. Otherwise, I would call my OB and let them know what just happened and that you're worried. They'll order up a blood test and that will be completely accurate. good luck!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• False positive pregnancy tests are rare - though there are instances and conditions where they can occur.

There could be various reasons for a false positive test.
    Chemical Pregnancy
    A chemical pregnancy is basically an early miscarriage. Research has shown that half of all first pregnancies end in miscarriage. Due to the high sensitivity of home pregnancy tests, many women catch early pregnancies but end up going on to have their periods due to a chemical pregnancy.

Missed Reaction Time
    For accuracy in home pregnancy tests it is essential that you read the test results in the stipulated reaction time. If you let the test sit for too long (after the instructions on the box tell you), the test is invalid. This may cause it to show false positive results.

Cont....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Missed Reaction Time

Chemical Interference
    Drugs that have the pregnancy hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them can cause incorrect results in home pregnancy tests. The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them may be responsible for the false positive pregnancy test. If you have had an HCG shot due to infertilty treatments, you need to be sure the shot is out of your system before you attempt to use early pregnancy tests.

Evaporation Lines
    This faint very light grey evaporation line in the test area is often interpretted as a positive result.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009