for breastfeeding moms- tmi

my 3 month old has always had yellow poop which i was told was normal and now his poop is turning green with yellow spots- hes ebf so i dont understand the change- is this something thats normal as the baby grows? also he is pooping more often- he's gone from once every week or so to like 2 times a day. my other sons were formula fed so i didn't go through this with them, thanks a bunch ladies

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, this also happened to my son (EBF). I have no idea why the changes happen, but the pediatrician said anything along the lines of brown, yellow, or green are perfectly normal.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 10:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If he's getting a lot of foremilk, his poop can change color and consistency.
    Anonymous

• Have you pumped recently? I distinctly remember a change in my breastmilk around that age...it went from thick and white to much more clear like and thin. I think your body naturally changes the breastmilk according to baby's needs. That could be causing the change in frequency and color.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The Anon poster was right on with her response. If breast milk poop is yellow the baby is getting a good mix of foremilk which is the first milk that the baby receives when he/she latches on similar to skim milk, & also hindmilk which is produced once the baby has consumed the foremilk & is more of a fatty or whole milk consistency. The yellow poop is a good thing. If the baby's poop is just green, it is usually a sign that the baby is getting enough foremilk & not enough hindmilk. Green seedy poop is generally somewhere in the middle of the two. Your baby is probably just fine, keep doing what you are doing. The variations in frequency of his/her poops is also totally within range. I just want to congratulate you on your breastfeeding journey, it is such a wonderful experience, hope you are enjoying it!
    Amy N.
    Mommy of a 6, 4, 2 y/o & 5 week old
    www.Enhancingfamilies.com --Helping Moms Earn An Income From Home W/O Selling
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 1:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes this is normal it suppose to change from yellow to green it means he is getting more of the fatty part of the milk and thats good for him dont worry my son did the same thing
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009