Is this wrong?

I have decided we are not going trick or treating. I love Halloween. BUT, I decided I would rather spend 20 bucks on really good candy then 100 on three bad costumes and yuckky candy and walk around in the freezing rain. My kids are 10, 11 and 14 and they actually agree. We are going to hand out cheap candy and eat the good stuff. :)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If your kids are truly okay with missing out on walking the neighborhood with their friends, I say more power to ya.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• As long as your kids agree I don't see the problem! Your family, your choice!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i dont think its wrong....they are getting old enough that they probably dont think its that much fun anymore..i know my niece is 14 and she doesnt like going anymore so she likes to pass out candy.....i'd do the same thing if my kids were your kids ages but mine are only 2 and almost 3 months
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 10:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If your kids agree to that this year then why not? That's why we take our son because he loves to dress up so if he didn't want to one year or didn't care then neither would I. Money saved!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i think its fine because they're older. if they were younger i would fell alittle bad but they seem to getting out of "the fun" of halloween ya know? but hey whatever works for your fam.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You're missing the point of halloween, and all the fun too...kid's don't mind rain, us old geezers do...quit rainin on your kids parade...you love Halloween, remember? It's probably because your childhood was filled with great halloween memories!!!
    Anonymous

• You don't need to spend thirty dollars per costume. Build them out of stuff from home.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I don't think this is a right or wrong thing. It just depends on what you and your kids want out of it. I do NOT mean these questions in a snotty way at ALL, btw - Is it more about your kids getting the candy, or is it more about the dressing up and pretending, being out socializing with their friends, etc?

Are you not wanting to do costumes because none of you have any real interest in it anymore, or is it because of the expense (you don't have to buy expensive costumes)?

Honestly, there isn't a right or wrong, it's about your family and prioritizing things in the way that's best for you. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Actually anon, we all love halloween. But, noone really wants to do it this year. I keep asking them. They keep saying, Nah...
    Oh well. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• WE're probably going to do the trunk or treat at our church for the first few halloweens for my kiddos, so I think it's fine. Besides, here it seems that trick or treating is getting less and less popular. Its kind of sad though...
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009