If you're self-employed, and you use your cell phone for business, is it UNPROFESSIONAL to have a ring tone? What if it's Michael Jackson? (Everybody loves MJ, even the most professional of all professionals :)

Be honest, friends. I really want to know your thoughts.

avonwitheboni

Asked by avonwitheboni at 11:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• What would be so unprofessional about it? As long as you set it on vibrate if you're ever in an important meeting or doing something involving an outside client or something of that nature.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think thats perfectly fine people need to lighten up but i dont know what kind of work you do so if you go out and meet with clients maybe you should keep it on a generic ring tone
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I too am self-employed and use a cell phone. I think it is okay to have your MJ ring tone, but feel that when you are meeting with a client or are "working", it should always be set to vibrate. But not because of the ring tone, simply because that is kind of my personal policy.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i dont like mj i would use something classical
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i don't think it matters anymore. but the fact that you may have a phone ring while dealing with clients is more unprofessional than what the ring tone is. my ol man has a mooing cow for his ringtone and is frequently in the corporate world, so it is on silent most of the day. but when the meetings are casual others usually just laugh and want to know where he got the ringtone.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes, it is unprofessional.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No, it's not unprofessional! It's a cell phone. First off, the clients calling aren't going to hear the ring and those in the office with you most likely have their own ring tones. The fact that it's MJ shouldn't matter. As long as it's nothing that could be offensive and it's not overly loud I don't see why it would be an issue!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think u should be sure it isnt offensive in anyway..Im not at all offended by most songs but was surprised when a delivery driver for UPS or FedEx (i wont tell which one lol) came in with the song You look better with something in your mouth on his phone. I think it was very unprofessional!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009