Help getting my baby to take a bottle!!!

My daughter is 2 months this week and is only breast fed. I wanna get her on the bottle and to drink formula to give me a break. I tried yesterday and today and he wont take it. Any ideas or tips on what i should do? Oh and i have my husband try to give it to her and still nothing

dJ031707

Asked by dJ031707 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you put your breast milk in the bottles via pump instead of the formula; maybe that is why he won't take the bottle. You would still get a break and he may take it, worth a try anyways.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Are you trying with formula or breastmilk? You might want to try breastmilk first, because she is already used to it. Try not being in the house because she can smell you even if you are not in the room. Good Luck.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• its going to take a while but they make tons and tons of bottle nipples so just because she doesnt like it right now doesnt mean she wont like it in a week i would suggest sticking with one nipple and trying that everytime you feed her maybe you should get one that is about the same size as your nipple and just try it again eventually she will get it
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• put your breast milk in a cup and give it to her like that. My babies never took bottles either, my grandmother tried to give my daughter one and she looked at us like we were crazy.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Which bottles are you using? I found that both with my daughter and the baby I used to babysit that they both preferred the Playtex Drop In System with the BROWN colored Natural Latch Nipple and both were breast fed (don't know why they liked the brown ones over the clear ones....but they did). Also, start with breastmilk...the smell of formula is just foreign to her. Once she gets used to the bottle, then switch to formula.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• you do realize that your breastmilk is going to dry up right? if you start giving your baby a bottle (espeacially with formula) the baby will get use to the flow of the milk coming so easy out of the bottle that he will no longer take your breast. and that will DEFINITLY make your supply diminish. if you want to continue breastfeeding i would say to not give any formula. however if you need a "break" than pump your milk andgive it to him in a breastflow bottle. that way to nipple of the bottle is "almost" the smae as your breast and he wont have nipple confusion. also keep in mind that breastmilk is much sweeter than formula so he may hate the taste of the formula. and also switching to formula cold turkey from breastmilk *may* make his lil tummy upset and you'll have one fussy baby.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i have 3 kids and breastfed all of them so i know a lot on the subject!! The person that said the thing about the Playtex drop ins with the brown nipple was right..my kids were the same..brown nipple and all (rubber nipper v silicone (clear) nipple), also the woman that said ur milk will dry up is right, and the woman that said the thing about trying different nipples, and also the woman that said to use breastmilk is right!! lol..i was going to mention all of that in my reply but they beat me to it..lol!! smart ladies!! Pumping is really easy and it's a great thing to do!!
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 12:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I know my milk will dry up. Im planing on pumping the times when shes suppose to eat but i dont have enough milk to feed her AND pump out enough. So, if i feed her some formula i can pump out the milk and switch breast milk and formula
    dJ031707

Answer by dJ031707 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• you DO have enough milk to feed from the breast AND pump. its just that the pump only gets about 20% out as opposed to a baby directly on the breast..and question if you KNOW your milk will dry up then WHY are you going to switch to formula anyway? are you trying to wean? if so go about what you're doing. like i said before you might just end up with a fussy baby due to the constant switching.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• your milk supply will change if you keep pumping and bfing...you will get more so you can do both!! the body is an amazing thing!! i pump and bf all the time..i have tons of milk in the freezer so that if i don't feel like bfing for whatever reason i just thaw out some of it..
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 3:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009