MY BABY BOY IS IN THE NICU BECAUSE WHEN I GAVE BIRTH I WAS POSITIVE FOR GBS. WILL HE BE OK? WILL HE HAVE MORE PROBLEMS LATER IN LIFE?

I'M REALLY WORRIED ABOUT HIM. HE CAME A FEW WEEKS EARLY.

BLISS85

Asked by BLISS85 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait.. Why is he in NICU? Complications .. or.. what? You weren't treated for the GBS?

Thoughts go out to you.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I'm sorry, my kids are quite a bit older. I'm not familiar with GBS. I do know for a fact that you have a right to question everything and to get opinons other than who's treating your baby. Also google that topic here in CM groups, maybe there's a group on it.

And in the main medical group, maybe there's a subgroup.

Prayers for you and Your Precious Beautiful Baby momma. Keep your strength too Remember to Eat and Rest Your Eyes.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You should be asking the NICU nurses and your Dr not us dear. You have a right to ask ANY and ALL questions till you get the answers. I hope and pray your baby will be just fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i was treated when i was in labor but he still got sick.. n trust me, i have asked question after question, the nurses just keep saying to wait n talk to the dr n she's never there.. he's doing better, they took him off oxygen, but they haven't tried feeding him yet.. nurse estimated that they'll keep him 5-7 days. i'm getting released in the morning :( i don't want to leave here without him..
    BLISS85

Answer by BLISS85 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If he was born a few weeks early then maybe he's there because he's premature.

GBS and treating for it is controversial. There are many who don't even test women for it because there is no reason. They believe the treatment doesn't show an effective improvement. And the antibiotics can create their own issues, too.
    It's hard to know what's going on there~ you'll need to demand that you speak with the doctor. She needs to respond to you. Maybe you can ask for the head of the department and tell them your doctor won't make herself available to you.
    Keep at it~ good luck!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree that I would demand to see a doctor to answer questions and if they wont do that, personally, I would take them to another hospital where a doctor will talk to you and help you understand what is going on. Get loud if you have to if they will not find someone to give you answers. (So you know getting loud doesn't have to mean getting rude or mean like some people would think just keep at it.) Good luck to you.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 9:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Your baby will likely be just fine.
    The doctor SHOULD talk to you about it though, if they have met with you personally I would ask the nurse to page the doctor so they can give you a call and update you on what is going on. You should expect to talk to the doctor once/day about your baby.
    As for being discharged see if your hospital has something called room and board... this is where you can use a hospital room to stay until your baby goes home.... where I work we allow 4 days to the parents to stay... it's more like a hotel stay though, you are on your own you can't get meals or medications or anything like that... just a place to stay. So check to see if it's an option.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I understand your concern my baby boy (now 18 months) spent two weeks in he NICU but he had pneumonia and Respiratory Distress Syndrome but GBS can be treated wih antibiotics but they should have gave you antibiotics during delivery did they? well if it was me I'd be askng qeustions and getting some answers.Good Luck to you and your little one i know its really hard see your child that its even harder haing to leave him there i cried when i had to leave
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yea I agree with the other mom who said he's probably in the NICU because he was born early not because you were positive for GBS. As for speaking with the doctor there is ALWAYS a doctor on call that you can speak with about his health and care. When my son was in the PICU I saw his doctors 4 times sometimes more during the day and if they weren't coming to me telling me anything I was going to find them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009