How young do you let your child carve his /her own pumpkin?

I ...being paranoid about getting hurt had a problem letting mine do this by themselves until about age 5-6 depending on maturity level of child. I now LOVE those little kits they have with the scoops and such. Where was this when ALL of my big kids were small?

momof4kids257

Asked by momof4kids257 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This has always been a family event for us. No matter the age, we all do it together so I don't have to worry about my kids getting hurt. I agree with you though, those kits they have now make it much easier and a bit safer.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• why are you paranoid ? mine started when he was like 1 and a half
    they will be fine just obvusly watch hm or her
    my son also went tubing at 2, skiing at 2 and horseback ridding at 2 lol i guess some parents are just over protective thugh
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 11:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I say buy the Mr potato head thingy's for pumkins they have at wal-mart and decorate it that way. NO knives no cutting, no mess. for small kids pumkin carving can be difficult at best. You can also use colored paints, or markers instead of knives. Being over protective is NOT a bad thing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I really don't know I think 5 is even young! I would let them draw the face on and cut it out for them probably until they are maybe 10. Call me over-protective, but I have trouble carving so I wouldn't trust a small child to do it. When my son gets older we might try painting faces or doing the Mr. Potato head thing.

This year my son who is 21 months wasn't interested in anything except stealing the pumpkin tops and running around with his puny half green pumpkin he picked at the patch! LOL
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son is 9, and I still carve the pumpkin. He used to paint them when he was younger, and now draws the face on so I know where to cut. You can always have them "help" you cut it. Place their hand over yours, or vice versa, so that you're in control of the knife, but they think they're assisting.

kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 8:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Everyone sounds like us. We didn't let him actually "use" the knife -actually I still don't..lol I just realized that. wow weird huh? We would have him paint a picture on the pumpkin in marker,crayon ,paint.. whatever he wanted to use. and we would either carve what he drew depending on patience on both sides I suppose or we'd guide his hand with the knife. I think mine is wanting to be Darth Vader this year again...reusing the costume from a previous Halloween.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• well of course you do it with them dont just let the to crzy wiht a knife. and yes sometimes over protective is bad, let them live
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 5:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009