is it possible to lose some weight during pregnancy?

I was wondering if it was possible to lose a few pounds during pregnancy... like on purpose but still maintain a good diet for the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I lost 30 pounds by not drinking soda, eating veggies and fruit and lean protein--like the high protein, low carb diet, my son is healthy and happy and 6 years old and smart. I am not really sure he was three weeks before my due date, I was induced because he was 8 pounds 9 oz and 20 and 3/4 inches, he is really tall and stout for his age now too. he just turned 6 and he is as tall as my 9 year old!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You wouldn't have to try. I ate a healthy diet, including the extra 300 calories and still lost weight. I exercised and ate around the correct amount of calories (I didn't keep track). It helped that I mainly craved fruits and veggies with my pregnancies. Sometimes your body will use the extra weight to help with the baby.
    1st pregnancy I gained 26 lbs (perfect starting weight), 2nd 25 lbs (still good starting weight), 3rd 15 lbs (a little overweight starting), 4th 12lbs (a little smaller than the one before). With the last two I lost a little weight and with the last one I was actually a pants size smaller a month after birth. All four were perfect weights and healthy. The doctor wasn't worried about my weight.
    I did NOT try to lose weight. It just worked out that way.
    Anonymous

• My aunt was TOLD to go on a diet with my cousin because she was gaining SO MUCH weight. She gained like 150 pounds with him and she was already over weight. All she ate was junk and when she told them she was eatting for 2 and she litterally was. She was eatting double her normal amount of calleries and it was her second pregnancy
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, if you are on the heavier side you lose weight. If you are like me who was considered underweight when I became pregnant no such luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You can lose weight if you are heavy to begin with. I didn't, but I only gained 5 pounds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• with my DD I gained 25 pounds but I was normal weight before I got pregnant, this time I was just a little over weight and I lost 25 pounds but gained 6 back lol.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• you are not supposed to intentionally lose weight. if just by eating healthier, and making sure you are eating enough for baby, you happen to lose weight, don't stress about it, that is ok.

from webmd
    "Is It Safe to Lose Weight When Pregnant?
    No. It is never safe to lose weight during pregnancy -- both you and your baby need the proper nutrients in order to be healthy."

this is from babycenter
    Is it okay to lose weight during pregnancy?
    Pregnancy is definitely not the time to go on a weight-loss diet: Restricting your food intake is potentially hazardous to you and your developing baby. But many plus-sized women do experience weight loss without dieting during pregnancy.
    In the first trimester, it's common to lose weight as the result of morning sickness: The nausea can diminish your appetite, and the vomiting can cause you to lose calories. But don't worry, your baby your baby will still get all the calories he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009