What would you do?? (landlord issues)

We like our landlord she is nice she runs the apartments that her dad owns he lives in Thailand He feel in love with the country there so he just packed up and moved there I guess. Well 2 weeks ago she comes over to give use a 30 day notice which as long is it is not an eviction(which it is not) we are okay with it since my husband and I got laid off and would be moving out anyhow. That day my husband told her he had money for her we owed some back utilities bill around 100 bucks and money for this months rent. She said no don't pay me I already have it (MEANING OUR DEPOSIT) We have paid first and last. Well a few days ago we got a bill taped to our door for 1500.00!!! Rent and utilities!! My husband I didn't even have that much money and we don't now FOR SURE!! We had 450 which we used for food, boxes, storage unit, and to get a new battery for our car! We no longer have an income!! We are moving out in 2 wks!! What do we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is not like we are moving into another house! We are moving in with friends until we get jobs again! I don't understand why she would lie to us. On top of that we paid almost 200 each for PGand E and Propane. Since they were suppostly split between other units! I have a feeling she uses us and the others to pay her part of the utilities!
    Anonymous

• She has your deposit in escrow. Leave the apartment spotless with a capital S. Take picures with the days newspaper in plain view to show the date, or use video that shows time and date. Take pics of everything, including refrigerator, and stove. condition of carpets, floors, no holes in walls. Even show clean AC filter. Leave. She can take it out of your deposit, and send you what is left over. A newpaper is cheap, and so is a camera. Also you can have a witness in some of the pics that would be willing to testify for you the condition of the apt. if need be in court. I don't think it will come to that. Kick back, relax, clean up, and take pictures. Deposit will take care of it all!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ask her for an itemization of the bill. She can't just demand any amount of money she chooses they have to be legitimate charges and she has to prove it. She does have to show some proof that this is what you owe. If she does that; all you can do is make some sort of payment arrangements. If she doesn't provide proof - then I think I might walk and not look back. If she comes after you for it - ask her again for the proof. If she never shows it to you - don't pay. If she files it on your credit - dispute it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Good thing is that she doesn't do a credit check for people to move in so she doesn't have our social. I could understand 1300 for all that we could owe but she is adding on 200 extra that I have no idea where it came from!
    Anonymous

• In response to the comments about cleaning the apartment...................... Personally, I wouldn't incur any extra expense cleaning the apartment. I've been burned so many times on this I can't even count. With two kids in college I've cleaned my fair share of apartments and have ALWAYS left them cleaner than when the kids moved in. NEVER and I mean NEVER have we received all our deposit back.

I'm not suggesting you leave it filthy and with holes in the walls, but renting a carpet shampooer or spending hours cleaning blinds and air vents probably won't make one bit of difference.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Op here I dont intend to rip anybody she has already done that! I am upset since first she lied to us and how she could add so much more money on the bill like it isn't a big deal.I have the last bill and no that we DON'T owe her that much money!!
    Anonymous

• OP here BTW we don't put holes in walls and always leave places as it was before I have pictures of the place before and I will after I am not that careless ANON.!
    Anonymous