NON-CHRISTIANS...What is your opinion of incorruptible corpses?

I think it's all very interesting. In. corpses are the bodies of saints and (saintesses? help!) who, after being dug up from their graves, are found to have "frozen" in the decomposing process. Apparently it's a prerequisite to becoming a saint. A few of them are on display around the world. Some say it's a hoax, others say it's a work of the divine. There are some corpses that are well over 200 years old, but yet their bodies haven't decayed.

So interesting =3 What's your take on it? If you google it, I'm sure you'd find a bunch of reference images.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• what were they burried in? certain conditions can stop the decomposition i live like 30 miles away from the "Body Farm" where they take bodies and do all these experiments with them so they can tell how long they have been dead and stuff like ifit was burried in a cave ora cold place then yea it wouldnt be decomposing i dont see anything "god prooving" ina body that hasnt decomposed......
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i have never heard of this before. I did google a bit, but i don't yet have enough info to form in opinion.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Fascinating!!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• =x That I'm not sure of. I totally understand what you're saying about having the right conditions for this sort of thing. That's how a bunch of babies in a city in Mexico turned into mummies, it was so dry there that it preserved their forms. Kinda creepy. My best guess without doing any research would be that they were buried in all types of places, and "SUPPOSEDLY" the neighbor graves had decomposed, but these people remained barely touched.

Apparently in some verse or chapter or doctrine it's said that if you live your life as pure as possible, almost like Jesus, your body will be allowed to live on after you die. "Supposedly", again. I'm a little rusty on the subject.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You're welcome =D I have an unhealthy fascination with mummies and archaeological stuff, heheheheh. I'm going to ask a question about the Japanese monks who mummify themselves tomorrow. I'll just have to do some research on it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think stuff like that is always really cool. I saw a thing on the History Channel recently about the whole conspiracy to steal Lincoln's body and all that... and they were saying he was completely preserved the last time his coffin was opened... and that was like 40+ yrs after his death.

I don't think any of it has anything to do with something "divine" --- either someone really knew their stuff in the embalming process or environmental factors played a role.... Just very cool.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• From HowStuffWorks.com:
    " The only problem is there are a lot more Catholic parishes than there are incorruptible corpses. As a result, these inexplicably preserved saints were dismembered, and their body parts were sent to all reaches of the globe. A hand may have ended up at one church, while the heart and head may have been sent to others.

There are a number of saints who remain in one piece, though. They are usually displayed in reliquaries -- enclosed glass coffins -- generally on display in front of or behind a church's altar."

Right off the bat; both images are disgusting...that's just plain wrong; how is that not viewed as desecrating the body? And really come on now who wants to go to church every Sunday and see a dead guy in a glass box for an hour or a hand or oh yea a heart?? Gross!

As for how it happened and that scientist can't explain it yet...who's to say? I believe one day they will figure it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I have issues looking at the pictures too. I guess it's sorta like those religions that see saints' bones as sacred. They keep them in boxes or on display in church, they're like holy or something. *shrug* Creepy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Crazy, did you see Saint Silvan? Supposedly 1700 years old and not wax coated!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• climate, environment, and many other factors can explain these things. Perhaps not all right this very second.. but given time, we will have a chance to examine them fully and find a very plausible answer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would want more information on them before I could totally rule on my opinion. I believe from what I know that they were usually buried in areas that naturally mummify... But I don't have answers on all of them. I guess I look at it this way, there are many reasons why a body would not decompose once buried and frankly it could be different for all of them. But the idea that because these people were so wonderful in life that God stopped their bodies from decomposing is just ludicrous! It doesn't even make sense! I mean, how would he know that some stupid people were going to dig these corpses up and memorialize them...  NAH! There are real reasons why the decomp stops - Not God!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2009