If your 16 year old daughter came to you because she wants birth control what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have a talk with her about it, and explain to her that I am proud of her for being responsible and for coming to me about it rather than hiding it.
    Lets be honest, kids will have sex and you cant really stop it and JUST because she asked for BC doesnt mean she is going to be having sex maybe she wants it just in case. Either way you should be proud that she came to you with this...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would pat myself on the back for raising a kid that felt she could come to me with her problems. The I would talk to her about the seriousness of birth control and that the pill doesn't prevent herpes or aids. And that she needs to use a condom every time!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would have a long talk about how BC doesn't prevent pregnancy 100% and that she should still always make her partner wear a condom because STD's are not prevented by pills. And that condoms are not always effective at preventing STD's either so she should be very picky about her partners.
    We would discuss many of the STD's and what they do.

Then i'd go get her some BC.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Agree with all the above. I have told all of my children (and their friends) "two forms of birth control." They all know that you also need a condom to prevent STDs and that even with two forms nothing is 100%.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 1:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i would one give her a hug two give them tp her then i would talk to her about it but dont put off like you know shes haveing sex cause then she would never talk to you about it again but just talk to her calm i talk to teens and there parents everyday about this good luck to you hun
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would put her on it..just to keep things on the save side for her. I hope she don't want to have sex..she needs to wait till she is married. That's the cool thing to do,anyways. I hope that she knows that. Waiting id the best thing.
    KoriwithaK

Answer by KoriwithaK at 1:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i have nothing to say..these ladies all said it best!! you really should be a proud mommy!!! you're obviousely doing an AMAZING job
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 1:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You need to talk to her about the risks and to still be careful, if she is asking you then her mind is already set that she is going to have sex, would be a good idea to get her the birth control and offer to purchase the condoms for her
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 2:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would be very grateful that she trusts me enough to come to me. I would let her know of all the dangers and consequences/risks of having sex, but I would go with her to get them. I know what I was like at 16 and I would want her to be safe and protected if sex is going to be the road she takes that young. I of course will hope she waits but if she doesnt she will be prepared.
    Nevaeh1lb13ozs

Answer by Nevaeh1lb13ozs at 2:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with every other woman on here. It doesn't mean that she is having sex, or even that is thinking about having sex. It may just mean that she knows that things can get out of hand before you know it and she would rather be safe than sorry if she ever found herself there. Most of us know how fast something can turn into kissing to having sex without even making a conscious decision to do so. Right? I would be proud of her, proud of myself, and I would make sure to take her to see a doctor she felt comfortable with to discuss her options and the risks. I would also buy her condoms and explain the benefits of two forms of birth control. And explain the necessity for STD protection.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2009