My kindergartner says they are going to make witches for a craft project in school? Why is this dark holidy so tolerated and pushed on everyone?

We are Christians so other Christians how should I deal with this whole month of Halloween activities at public school?

gaurdianangels

Asked by gaurdianangels at 1:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Halloween is only dark if you view death as such. Is death something that is dark, and scary? ....

I am a witch and i see nothing "dark" about witches, Halloween/Samhain or death.

I know you asked for a Christians help ...but just thought you might want to know that witches are real. I'm sitting right here. And i would never do anything to intentionally harm anyone or anything. ...so how does that make me or my favorite turning of the wheel "dark".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You should pull your kid out of public school and home school. That way you can push your agenda and nobody can teach your kid stuff of which you do not approve. Make sure to thump him everyday with your bible so your lessons really sink in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I grew up in Catholic schools and we celebrate Halloween AND we got the day after off school. So the only "dark" think about the holiday is the poistion of sun we go trick or treating
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes I would have but she will not stay home, she like to be around her school friends please pray for her to be a strong Christian Witness?
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 1:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would talk to the teacher and have him make somthing else, I always talk to my 4 year old that his holiday is bad and not supposed to be celebrated, when he goes to school all the holloween crafts junk they will be doing my son will not be a part of.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• no offense Catholic lady but have you ever looked it up on wikipedia?It is a Satanic holiday no ?s
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 1:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No it is not Satanic.
    It is Pagan. And wikipedia is not a reliable source. anyone from anywhere can add whatever they want.

It is Pagan. To celebrate and honor the dead. It is also the new year! a new wheel means new beginnings. It is a bright and happy holiday! Full of fun and laughter and the utmost respect for the deceased.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's not "dark" and it's not pushed any more than Thanksgiving (genocide, in the opinion of many), or Christmas or Easter or..... whatever.

Are you going to protest in a few weeks when she's making hand turkeys? It represents the slaughter of THOUSANDS of Native Americans and the near complete descimation of their culture. Now, if you want to talk about "dark" holidays.... don't know what tops that.

What about Christmas trees a few weeks after that? Afterall, we've all heard repeatedly of Christmas' Pagan roots.

The vast majority of the people I know are Christian .... well over 90%... and I only know TWO families that don't participate in Halloween. If you don't want your kids to... that's fine... just send a note stating you don't want her making construction paper witches.... maybe she can do pumkins instead.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.
    www.history.com
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Halloween has origins in the ancient Gaelic festival known as Samhain (pronounced sow-in or sau-an), which is dervied from Old Irish and means roughly "summer's end".[5] A similar festival was held by the ancient Britons and is known as Calan Gaeaf (pronounced kalan-geyf). The festival of Samhain celebrates the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half", and is sometimes[6] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[7]

Straight from your trusted wikipedia ...with sources!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009