What age?

Just a question asking for opinions so no bashing please.
In your OPINION:

At what age is a child old enough to be home alone?
At what age is a child old enough to go on unsupervised outings? (Like to the mall or movies, with friends but no adults.)
At what age is a child old enough to spend the night at home alone?
What about the whole weekend?
At what age, if any, would you let your children attend or host an unsupervised party?
What about concerts?

There has been a lot of media coverage lately about children being left alone or unsupervised so I am just looking for opinions. My boys are 8,6, and 3 and in my opinion, none are near ready to be unsupervised for more than a moment.

JEAmom3

Asked by JEAmom3 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• my babies are only 1 & 3 ...so they dont apply to my now lol..........but

At what age is a child old enough to be home alone? i think around 12 or 13, i would feel comfortable leaving them alone for an hour or so...

At what age is a child old enough to go on unsupervised outings? (Like to the mall or movies, with friends but no adults.) probably 15...but they would have to keep their cell phone on ( or whatever they have by that time) ...and i would have to pic them up and drop them off..

At what age is a child old enough to spend the night at home alone? not until lie 17...i am 22 and i still cant lol

What about the whole weekend? 17-ish

What about concerts? they would have to be atleast 17 i would say
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I say 35, lol, honestly 18 years
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• At what age is a child old enough to be home alone?
    10, call every hour or so, make sure they are okay

12, have them either take a cell or give you a number of a friends cell, and know everything about where they are going, i.e. movie times when it ends/

14 or 15 if you trust them, based on previous behavior, continue to call/ have them call before they go to bed. if they have acted out before or you have caught them doing things you dont trust them with, then not till they can show you they deserve it

What about the whole weekend?
    that i would say the same thing as before,

What about concert

both of those 18
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 1:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with Laura Cruz on everything except the party thing!! I think that it should be 16..but that's with a trusting child!!
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 2:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• At what age is a child old enough to be home alone? Around 12-13 if mature enough.

At what age is a child old enough to go on unsupervised outings? (Like to the mall or movies, with friends but no adults.) Mine were 14 but we dropped them off and picked them up and had strict rules that they had to follow or it was their last time going.

At what age is a child old enough to spend the night at home alone? My oldest son was 17 and my youngest son was 12 (the middle 2 were 13 and 15) when hubby and I went away over night. They did well with it. The next time we did it the younger 2 were 16 & 18.

What about the whole weekend? We never left our older 2 sons home for a weekend because the younger 2. Our younger 2 were 18 and 17.

At what age, if any, would you let your children attend or host an unsupervised party? What about concerts? All of these, not until they graduate high school. Parents must attend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think all of these REALLY depend on the individual child, but maybe as a minimum...

At what age is a child old enough to be home alone? 12
    At what age is a child old enough to go on unsupervised outings? (Like to the mall or movies, with friends but no adults.)14
    At what age is a child old enough to spend the night at home alone? 18
    What about the whole weekend? 18
    At what age, if any, would you let your children attend or host an unsupervised party? 18
    What about concerts? 16
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think this is really tricky and depends not only on the child but where you live or where the child wants to go.

home alone i'd say middle school aged depending on child maturity

outings middle school depending on who they going with, how they're getting there what they're doing

spending the night or weekend alone shouldn't happen until after they're out of high school and coming home on the weekends or vacation from college. Too many bad things can happen with high school kids

The party can be unsupervised never if you mean you leave the house and they do what they want. But if you mean you go upstairs and the kids do what they want downstairs then middle school.

concerts if you pick them up and drop them off i would say when they get into high school it's appropriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009