Autism

My fiance's 3 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. I have no clue what to do to help her. Her mother doesn't really do anything with her and we only get her every other weekend. She is supposed to be going to a speech therapist and an autism specialist but her mother refuses to take her. Her mother says there is nothing wrong with her she's just a "late bloomer". I don't know what to do and I can't stand to see someone neglecting a child the way she does because she's too stubborn to admit that there's something wrong with her child!

Rowans_Mommy_09

Asked by Rowans_Mommy_09 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• The mother is in denial. that's not uncommon. Give her a week or two. If it's already been that long that i suggest taking her to court!

Early intervention is the ONLY way to help that little girl be the best she can be.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's been over a month, she just barely told us about it last weekend. we are trying to get custody because she refuses to take her to the specialists.
    Rowans_Mommy_09

Answer by Rowans_Mommy_09 at 5:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thats to bad ,knowing it will only help the child.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's very likely that she is in denial. When a child is diagnosed with autism, it's very common for the parent to go through the usual stages of grief (it's not the death of a child, but it's the death of the life you thought your child might lead and it's very painful). Hopefully she will come around soon. Early intervention is crucial in the development of a child with autism. I hope the court will see how important it is and give custody to someone who will put the little girl's needs first.

Answer by missanc at 8:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The best thing you can do is play with her. Whatever she is doing, do it with her. Join in her world. If she lines up blocks, you do the same. Whenever you are talking to her, bring the toy or food or cup up near your eyes so that she makes eye contact. Praise her for every effort. My state's medical school sent someone to my home and taught me how to do ABA therapy. Gluten Free/Casein Free diet is very helpful to many autistic children. You can find loads of information at Talkaboutcuringautism.com They even have a book they will send you for free with every type of therapy and intervention you can imagine. She needs to see the speech therapist. If the mother continues to refuse, try to get custody. You can get a TACA mentor from that website that may be able to speak on your behalf as to what an autistic child needs.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 10:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Dont let ur kid play w/ hers ... ur child will start acting VERY slow!!! my son did that bc he was in class 2 of them ... i had him QUICKLY removed!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I dont blame her!! Who wants to admit their kid has autism?! My friend keeps her son in the house all day ... just her and her daughter go and do errands ... his grandma watches him so she doesnt have to put him in day care while she works .. lol i dont blame either one!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• WOW! The last 2 remarks were so thoughtless and insensitive!!!

There's a mom on here, KENRE is her screen name look her up///she is in the same situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Gee anon 9:44 and 9:45-- insensitive much????? Thank GOD YOUR children don't have Autism cause YOU obviously do not have any compassion!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think your DF should give up custody ... if their child is around yours , your child will act like that one ... and you'll have to deal w/ 2 uncontrolable kids
    Anonymous