Will they not do an epidural if you are past a certain dilation?

I've heard that but I wasn't sure. If so, how much dilation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I hear that it can be given at ANY time... But also hear from some that they wanted to get the epi, but it was "too late." (Already pushing.)
    So prior to transition, I suppose, is most likely.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I know they tend not to give it when you're 8 cm or more. Usually, once you get to 8 cm, it's like 15 min or so until you're ready to push. Barely enough time for it to take effect. Personally, I won't get it at all, so I haven't looked to hard into that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The staydol in my opinion is the best they can give it to you through out as needed even if you plan on an epidural. There is a limit for the epidural I can't remember specific guidelines however they can only begin to offer it at a certain and they will give you one last chance before they can no longer administer it. Even if in the beginning you say you don't want it they still constantly ask. Natural isn't as bad as people say and if you use the staydol the still consider it natural and your body takes automatic control and pushes when needed and with out command. I thought it was quicker and easier. I've had both.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Its 8cm!!! I know this cause they told me it can be given at anytime and by 8cm the doctor told me " whelp, times up can get a epi" I wanted to hit her in her face, lol ( no violence) I wasn't gonna get it but how she said it ticked me off or it might have been cause I was moody:)
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 8:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I got an epidural when I was 8cm with my daughter. I was in labor another 6 hours after that, so there was plenty of time. The only people I know of who couldn't get one were ones who were moments away from pushing or already pushing.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I got it when i was 7cm but it only worked on one side of my bady then when it was time to have the baby it was like I didn't get it at all after I had they baby they said I got it to late that's why it didn't work right
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• well you might want to consider not getting one if your labor is near the end. epidurals are very very expensive, and of course there are added risks that come along with them.

my brother is 7 years old and my mom decided she wanted an epi, but the anesthesiologist didn't come until near the end, she wanted it anyway, and i'm sure he wanted to since it probably cost my mom and stepdad a few hundred and their insurance several hundred. anyway, she got no pain relief from it because it didn't start working until AFTER he was born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2009