Having trouble getting baby to sleep, could this be because she ate cereal too late?

I have just started solids, my Daughter is 6.5 mos old. She is breastfed normally, and I have been feeding her rice cereal mixed with cow's milk based formula. I have mixed in some carrot mash as well recently.
I feed her 2 times a day 1st time about 2 pm, and 2nd time with our dinner at 7-8pm. She is having strong difficulty getting to sleep and is being very fussy- gassy. Normally nurses to sleep starting 9:30-10pm. That has not been working and have to try again at 11pm.

allucaneatsushi

Asked by allucaneatsushi at 2:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• more than likely yes that is the reason. cereal is like a belly stopper..her tummy is probably so full right now and thats why shes gassy. and fussy because of the upset tummy as well as being very sleepy. i would keep cereal to a morning thing if at all. just see if she wants to nurse for comfor. its all you can really do.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Hi,
    Could it be that your little girl is intolerant to cow's milk protein? My baby boy who is breast fed behaves like this when I eat or drink anything that is derived from cow's milk. He is very irritable, arching his back, crying and whingeing, throwing up and doesn't want to feed properly. It could be the formula you are mixing with the cereal. Try using a soy based formula and see what happens or even some expressed milk.
    Franjo

Answer by Franjo at 4:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Has she ever had formula before? If she has never had formula before that coupled with the introduction of new foods can definitely cause those problems. You could mix the cereal with breastmilk to ease some of the problems or at least narrow it down to see which one is causing the discomfort. Also make sure you are breastfeeding before offering solids.  Solids are just for practice at this age.  Good Luck and it will get better soon.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You've introduced too many new things at once, so it's going to be difficult to tell what it is. Mix her cereal with water or breastmilk, not formula if she's never had it before. Don't add carrot in with the cereal until you're sure she's tolerating the cereal well.....which you're not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• What? Why would she have trouble sleeping because you started cereal too late? It makes no sense.

You don't need to give the baby any cereal. Give the baby NO formula!!! Carrots taste bad compared to other first solids.

Mashed banana, sweet potato, or yams are good first solids. You don't want to start with cereal because it is high in carbs like breastmilk, highly processed, has lots of additives, and offers nothing a bf baby needs. The baby should be able to self feed the banana, sweet potato, or yams.

For more info on starting solids go to www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Solids are not for practice. The food you give your baby should be nutritious because they take the place of breastmilk. Soon your baby will need meat for iron.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• its not a certain time to start so its not that she is adjusting rice ceral turns into sugar thats what my pedatrician said i started ,y son at 3.5 monhs but what you cab do try feeding earlier in the morning my son eats at 9-10 depending on his wakeing i bf him throughout the night and i feed him dinner between five and 7months use your motherly wisdom as was told to me good luck
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2009