How to make dried herbs?

My herb garden is very full several basils, rosemary and more .Can I use a oven on low? One is a convection oven ,also if that helps.Is it possible to make at home SAFE infused EVOO ?Hate to waste all the herbs,we have had a warm fall even for Texas. Thanks

drfink

Asked by drfink at 2:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• your so lucky, I need to plant some things but I have been lazy. All you do is cut the amount of herbs that you want to dry, not from the roots of course, then you tie them up with yard or string and hang them up .
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 2:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i just hang mine upside down with some string tied around the stems either on a coffee hook or the edge of a shelf in the pantry. sometimes i freeze herbs they seem a little stronger when thawed than the dried ones. are you able to grow marjoram or savory? i have absolutely no luck with those two.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thanks, I don't have either herb.I have oregano,chives,rosemary and several basil's.I have recently planted for fall,haha,sage and dill.I bought and planted stevia- the leaves are supposed to be 200 times sweeter than sugar.I don't have a clue how to use it though.I was told to crush and mince the leaves but I can't see most sweet foods looking good with minced green leaves through out.Plus it would alter the texture .Oh well it's fun my children are daring each other to just chew the leaves.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I hang upside down. When they are dried, I freeze them.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2009