Pregnant and in need of a hysterectomy.

So, I was scheduled for a hysterectomy in March of next year for medical problems. Well, I just found out today I am pregnant (didn't think was possible) through my doctor actually. My doctor said we had 3 options. I could schedule a C section and do my surgery at the same time. I could schedule and induction and have my surgery at the same time. I could deliver naturally and then later schedule my surgery. I don't think I can swing the latter one because I don't think my husband can get the time off work twice like that. But both of my other children have been born vaginally and the idea of a C section scares me. I am also wary of inducing just because of some of the reported complications. Obviously, my husband and I will be thinking this over and talking a lot with our doctor, but I wanted real woman opinions. Has anyone gone through this, what would you recommend and what do you think you would do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Health

• Wow! Congrats on your surprise pregnancy!

If it were me I would probably go with the C-section and hysterectomy at the same time. You will already be open and they will already have you ready for a surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with the PP. If you have the C-section. 1. you will have the choice of the day so your hubby can get it off work way early so there's no problems. 2. you will already be open and the discomfort and pain will be all at once instead of twice or in two different places. lol!

I would be scared of a C-section too. The best way to look at it is that millions of women have C-sections all the time and some of them wouldn't have a baby any other way. Congratulations!!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I had 3sections and in my last one I had my tubes tied too. The tubal same time of my last csection didnot increase my pain or discomfort or lengthen my recooperation.

I know you are talking about a hysterectomy which is different than a tubal lig. Yr ease of recooperation from both section and hysterectomy separate or together depend on what depth of hysterectomy and how, if a separate procedure, would it be done? Through yr belly button - a laprascopic hysterectomy? If not that and done separately, would u be given a vertical cut hysterectomy instead of another way?

I had, a few years after my last section and tubal, a partial hysterectomy. Bcuz of gyn problems I agreed w/vertical cut from my belly button to my pelvic area SO my surgeon could get a good looksee inside me to best know what was wrong. I had general anesthetic snored thru that surgery.

A second hosp. after baby way way more stressful!! Oh Congrats!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think I would do as the first two posters said, C-Section with hysterectomy at the same time. I had a C-Section (emergency) and it wasn't as bad as I feared. Just do as your doctor says and let others help you. Doing it this way it will be one surgery verses two. Good luck and congratulations!!!
    MamaChop05

Answer by MamaChop05 at 7:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Personally I'd do the c-section but have you gotten a second opinion? They can do hysterectomy without cutting you open and a much shorter recovery period so your dh wouldn't have to take a lot of time off.
    good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Do you have any family that can help you out? If so, I would do it vaginally and let the baby decide when to come. I would have your husband take off work while you're in the hospital and then have your mom, MIL, whoever come stay with you for a couple of weeks and help out around the house. Then have your husband take off when you have the surgery. Or vice versa.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I have family nearby, but they all work and all of their shifts overlap. My biggest concerns is getting my older kids to and from school. The kids can help out with the baby when they are home, and the kids are really great kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• if u want message me i had a cesetion hysterectomy on october 12th was very necessary please message me if u want to chat or have ?s i would give u my cell number to call but dont want to here please message me if u want i can tell u what to expect or email me debbieschumi@aol.com
    momof3boys09

Answer by momof3boys09 at 3:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2009