breastfeeding, medicine & shots?

i'm breastfeeding and i'm on antibiotics and steroids because i'm sick. the doctor said a little will pass through the breastmilk but nothing to worry about because it's more important that i get better. i understand and agree with that but the baby is due for shots tomorrow. the doctor said it's fine for the baby to get the shots. i just feel like with the medicine in the shots, plus the antibiotics, plus the steroids, that's a lot for a little baby's body. i already canceled the baby's last appointment due to my sickness so i can't really cancel again. has anyone else done this and was the baby fine after? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why can't you cancel again? IF you have any concerns, cancel and reshedual.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• First you CAN cancel again if you do not want the LO to get shots right now. Second I personally agree with not wanting to pump that much stuff into a little body and WOULD most definitely cancel the appointment until I was done with the meds. I would also be checking www.kellymom.com to make sure the meds I was on were safe for breastfeeding moms. If they weren't then I would be stopping them and getting the doc to give me some that were safe for breastfeeeding moms. There are many antibiotics that are safe so that shouldn't be a problem.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I never had to take meds while BFing (except iron for anemia), but I just wanted to tell you that you CAN cancel your appointment, and if you don't cancel, you CAN request to hold off on the shots until you're done with your meds.

GL mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The medicines you are taking are fine for breastfeeding. It wouldn't be a reason to not give the baby immunizations. There are lots of other reasons not to give infants immunizations and it seems like if you are worried about breastfeeding and meds you would be worried about all the problems associated with giving immunizations to infants.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• it i fine she /he needs there shots what you cab\n do is freez your milk right after you take your meds and give her him that or mix bm with formula
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009