17 #s at 18 mos. old?

I am concerned about my friends little girl. She is 18 mos. old and only 17 pds. She only gained 3 ozs. in the last 5 months. Anyone else have a tiny 18 mos. old? What can she do to help her child gain weight?

tts

Asked by tts at 8:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • My son was really tiny when he was young. I don't remember exactly at 18 months, but he was 15 lbs and change at 1 year. I didn't do anything to help him gain weight, I continued to offer him healthy foods and he ate more than most kids. He's now 10 and although he is in the 50% for height, he's still only in like the 3% for weight. He's just tall and skinny like his uncle. Some kids are just genetically predisposed to being smaller, as long as she's healthy then her mom, or you, doesn't need to worry.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If she's not eating right and getting the nutrition she needs then buy the pediasure or ensure for kids to help her with nutrition. Maybe she is just gonna be tiny for a while then make up for it later. Is her dr. concerned. That is small but my dd is 14 mo. and 26lbs. she is tall for her age. Some kids just grow different.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 8:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my cusions baby was small like that!! and doc say she is fine!! my lil man is 19 lbs and he is 5 mnths old my 3 yr old is 41 lbs i just have some big men :)
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• What does your friends doctor say? Has she expressed concern to you? I would just bring up the conversation, my DS went to daycare with a little girl like that, and now she towers over him!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Some children are just small. As long as she is developmentally where she is supposed to be (hitting her milestones) there is no need to worry and no need to try to make her gain weight.
    emmabeastsmom

Answer by emmabeastsmom at 10:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My DD was small like that for years. She was always one of the shortest, skinniest kids in the grade. Somewhere between 2nd & 3rd grade she sprouted - gained 11 lbs!! (and we spent the whole summer hiking for miles at a time.) She is due for a checkup, but you can see she is a little taller than average in her grade, and she is the youngest. Some kids are just small. As long as the kid is healthy I wouldn't worry (easier said, I know.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son is 18 mnths old and hes a chunker he weighes 23lbs but I'd tell te doctor about it there could be aproblem that needs attention
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My daughter was around 20 lbs at 18 months. If the doc isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either. Some kids are just small. If she's concerned, she should ask the doc about food recommendations and vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My Oldest DD is small like that.. She will be 3 in like a week and a half and she only wieghs 25 lbs... She has always been smaller, I dont remember what she weighed at 18mths but at 1yr she was 16 lbs.. The Drs said she was fine bc shes always been smaller... My Youngest DD is the opposite she is almost 16 months old and wieghs 24lbs... My kids are 19mths apart, were both preemies and the youngest weighs 1 lb less. All kids are different
    mrskgill06

Answer by mrskgill06 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My DD is 30 mths and barely 22 lbs.
    01.Amey.07

Answer by 01.Amey.07 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009