i need help, new to this. here is my story, no bashing please. just honesty thank you

I gave birth Sat at 1:02am and originally wanted to breastfeed. since i had to have so much medication i decided to wait a day before attempting. well the next day i did BF a couple times but it hurt extremely badly. i talked to the lactation consultant and they had her latching on correctly although it still hurt and she was a little fussy so i didn't think she was getting enough food. i just wanted to make sure she ate so i then went back to formula which she is doing well with and has been on ever since. i would like to pump as soon as i can rent a pump this week from the hospital. My question is, is it ok to pump at this point? also, i noticed that my boobs are extremely heavy and hard. they hurt really badly so i figure my milk is in. is it ok to wait til i get the pump to actually pump them or will the milk go away or will they get even fuller? i just need help or advice.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, you can pump, the sooner the better! If breastfeeding is uncomfortable for you, you can just pump and use a bottle with your breast milk, this is what I did after I went back to work! Good luck mamma and congrats on the new baby!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They will get fuller and start leaking when too full. Try to get that pump ASAP or squeeze by hand. Once you start pumping then you will keep producing. Try putting you baby to breast until you get the pump. Your milk produces off of supply and demand. If your breasts hurt a lot buy a head of green cabbage the leaves work wonders for taking out the heat and pain. Just insert a leaf into your bra with a nursing pad and change every couple of hours! Good luck!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 8:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Try going to your local WIC office they often lend out breast pumps, and some give them away! they are expensive ones too. they do a great job. the sooner you get to pumping the better so you can keep producing milk. like said above if you have to express by hand for now do that to keep up supply. I found it was easier to do that in the shower (i was on my honeymoon forgot the good pump ugh) it hurts less when your engorged.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If you do not hurry up and start pumping. Your breast milk will dry up and you will not be able to pump.

Answer by louise2 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes it is ok to start pumping. Asap to avoid dry up.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 9:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Breastfeeding hurt me for about two weeks and we had a good latch. At the end of the second week, things started feeling much better. I would try getting her to latch again and contact your local La Leche League if you need help.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• For many women BF hurts quite bad for the first 2 to 4 weeks. Some will say it's because the latch is wrong, but that is not always the case. The lactation nurse said the latch was good, so I would keep feeding at the breast as to avoid nipple confusion.

For all of my babies the first 4 weeks hurt so bad and then after that it's completely comfortable. The lactation nurse told me it's because my babies are born with really small mouths that causes my nipple to rub their hard pallet. But, after they grow for a few weeks, we don't have that problem any more.

As for pumping, you can start that any time you want after delivery. Just know that if you keep offering bottles, your baby may refuse to latch on the breast again. Your baby is getting enough breast milk if she wets 6 or more diapers a day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Also, join the breastfeeding groups here at CafeMom. There are very wise women there that will offer great advice and support.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't know about the hurting part. BF did not hurt me at all, it was just uncomfortable at first, but not painful. I would also try to pump as soon as you can so the milk supply comes in strong. I hardly ever pumped though because it was much more painful to pump than to BF.Good Luck with BF and congrats on the little one:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Breastfeeing hurts very badly in the beginning, this is normal. Pump ASAP and it will relieve the fullness.
    Abbey3

Answer by Abbey3 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009