• In the Spotlight:

my son is just getting teeth and he is a biter

Hi I am breastfeeding and my son just got his teeth and now he bites me and smiles. I took everyones advice to get him to stop but its not working! I tried to pull my nipples from his mouth and tell him no biting( saying it so often I start off sentences with no biting if I am not paying attention) I tried to pump and then give him the bottle and he will starve himself. Please give me some advice! I don't want to spank him cause he is still really small he 7 months!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely don't spank! As for telling him "no", he has no idea what that means.
    The advice I have used and it worked was to pull him in close to you so he can't breathe while he bites, as soon as he loosens up let him breathe. That way he associates biting with an uncomfortable feeling. You will probably have to do it several times before he catches on. Also try not to scream out when he does it (I know it is hard). Screaming out can make him think it is funny, or scare him to where nursing is scary.
    With my second son the way he latched on was causing the biting. He wasn't opening his mouth wide enough and that caused his teeth to graze my nipple and it really hurt. I just had to work on getting his mouth open wider as he latched on.
    He probably is teething so biting down on something eases his gum pain. Remember this is just a phase.
    Anonymous