Fevers

OK, my daughter is 15 months old. I took her into the doctor yesterday but I was wondering what is your rule of thumb for fevers? When do you call the doctor? Take her it? Take her to the ER? Just curious, I was trying to find something online yesterday and had a hard time. Thanks!

emmabeastsmom

Asked by emmabeastsmom at 9:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Usually a low grade fever is to 101. anything above that should call the doctor, especially if infants Tylenol or Infants Motrin are not helping! anything at 104. or higher is dangerous and you should get to the ER! Anything lower than 101 can be normal with teething and such in babies, however if it continues for more than 2-3 days I would call the doctor, because it maybe something else. Hope this helps!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't worry too much about a fever--it means the body is fighting an infection...I don't give meds unless its higher then 102.5 for a day---As long as my DDs are drinking fluids and responsive I let them ride it out---Of course if they are really uncomfortable or not wanting to drink I will give them motrin or tylenol....I don't call the doctor unless the fever has been there for more then 2 days w/out improvement, even then it's just to see what's been going around and how long it lasts---I wouldn't take my DDs to the ER for a simple fever they would have to have other symptoms that are severe.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• - Any fever in a child under 3 months of age
    - Any fever present for more than 3 days
    - A fever of 101 F that has been present for more than 24 hours
    - A fever associated with specific sx, such as fever and cough, fever and earache, fever and rash, fever and abd pain
    - A persistant fever that is not responsive to correct doses of APAP (tylenol)
    - A fever in a child who looks quite ill, regardless of the duration of fever, ht of fever, or associated sx
    - A fever associated with abnormal movements, such as twitching of the face or arms and legs
    - A fever in a child who has not been eating or drinking normally for 24 hrs.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• let me add my DDs are 5 and 8...when they were infants I didnt let the fever go over 102
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• This is my NON-medical opinion. Tylenol or Motrin for fevers over 101 (100 under armpit + 1 degree=101), if fever lasts longer than 3 days, go to dr. If higher fever, 104 to 104.5, give tylenol, undress child, possible cool (not cold!) bath or cool cloth rubbed on head/belly/arms/legs to bring fever down, and if continued, go to ER/dr. Higher than 104.5, GO TO ER. Lower fevers with other symptoms, coughing, congestion, runny/stopped up nose, go to dr. PS, if that little hollow place at the bottom of the neck ever "sucks in" while breathing, that is called labored breathing, meaning the child isn't getting enough oxygen, could be pneumonia or several other things. Labored breathing ALWAYS means GO to dr/ER.

Mostly, you know your child, when they are well or if they are sickly. Use your own judgment, err on the side of caution. If your aren't sure, GO or call. Better safe than sorry, you'll get better at deciding when to go.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• ETA-Fevers over 101 for 24 hours, I agree for infants/toddlers, to go to dr. Lower grade fevers for over 3 days, go to dr.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Listen to your mommy instincts most of time its right and the doctors at the hospital and the doctors offices will understand they get parents in there everyday so they wont think your crazy trust me I've been to the ER and doctors office more time than I can remember with 3 kids I understand you worries.
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Our pediatrian gave us a simple rule of thumb with fevers. If the child is otherwise behaving normally, you don't need to do anything about the fever (assuming your child is over 3 months). If it's bothering the child (i.e. interrupting sleep, minor fussiness, etc), give Tylenol (or equivlanent). If the fever is significantly impacting the child or causing unusual behavior (i.e. lethargic, very fussy, etc), call the doctor. Unless the illness is obviously severe (i.e. difficulty breathing), calling you doctor first can help expedite an ER visit if one is necessary. How high the fever is is less important than the symptoms it's causing..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• depends. if she has had a fever of 101-102 for 3 days then i atke her tothe doc if its at 103-104 i make same day app. 105 i atke her to the er or do a walk in. my dd can get a fever of 105 and be playing so i try not to take her to the er inless hse isnt acting herself
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009