Does your child's public school allow them to to celebrate Halloween?

When I was a child we were allowed to dress up for Halloween to school. We would have a party in class, best costume contest and parade around the school. Through the years this has changed. Our public school doesn't allow any Halloween activities for the children. They have a "harvest party". No costumes! Why? Because of a few parents that have complained that their "religion" doesn't believe in Halloween! What does religion have to do with Halloween? Can't those parents keep their kids home? Why spoil it for the rest? Funny thing is our Catholic schools celebrate and go all out with a parade, haunted house and allow the children to wear costumes to school! I don't get it!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My 10 year old takes her costume to school & at 2PM they have a parade outside & aroudn the school then party afterwards. It's all wrapped up by 3 pm. Not a big deal but lots of fun.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 9:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son is actually wearing his to school on Friday as they are going on a field trip to one of the local long term care facilities for a little parade for the elders. That same facility hosts a Halloween party for kids aged 12 and under that is very wholesome fun for kids that have no school or friend's parties to attend. Then at 2 they have a party and a little parade through the courtyard. The are allowed to take treats for the class, but they cannot be candy. Pencils, stickers, bookmarks, puzzles, coloring books, and that sort of thing are pretty common for the kids to come home with after the party.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The 2 years my oldest went to a public school they had a small fall celebration. The kids were allowed to bring costumes to change into but only for the costume parade after lunch and then had to change back into their regular clothes. they had a small party and got candy but it was only a small part of the day.

My kids now go to a Catholic school and they go all out. They wear their costumes, have a haunted house (created by the 7th and 8th graders in a part of the school no longer used), have a huge party in the basement with games and prizes (which we have to pay for) and a costume parade. Basically the whole day is spent goofing off, watching Halloween movies and doing Halloween crafts. They have a blast. It's just like it was when I went to Catholic schools 25 years ago.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Weren't those were the days? It's sad how society cuddles to that small voice. Doesn't seem right for the minority.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• That is so not fair. In our public school system, people who do not want their child to participate or march in the parade can say no in a parent consent form that is handed out. They are then sent to a classroom and study. In catholic, they are given a party and walk on stage with music and on Saturday they are having a huge Halloween party with public and catholic and all other faiths mixed together and having a big dj party. GL and hope things get changed.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my youngest goes to public preschool...they get to wear their costumes.

my older dd's go to catholic school. and since its a pagan holiday they don't 'celebrate' with costumes. Its Crazy hair day and 'spirit day' so they make crazy hair and wear the school's colours.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My kids aren't in school yet however my brother can't for the same reasons and I don't think it's right If you don't celebrate halloween fine don't dress up but religion has no place in schools or to be aloud to dominate them.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When we lived in CA, it was not allowed. Here in OK, they do. It's way more fun for the kids to dress up.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son's school has a party & parade. It's all very innocent, cute & fun. It only lasts an hour at the end of the day.

However, i don't think parents who don't celebrate should have to keep their kids home. There should be another fun activity offered for those kids who don't participate for whatever reasons, like a movie w/ popcorn. Just b/c some kids don't celebrate, they shouldn't have to just sit and be bored while the others are having treats and fun. When i was teaching, we always offered an alternative activity.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2009