How can I keep my son from getting my flu?

I am the only one who cares for him during the day. I don't want him to get this, it is horrible. Fever, chills body aches. Do you think it is already too late and because I am around him so much he already has it, just not showing any symptoms yet? I wash my hands constantly, but should I still try and keep away from him? Also, do you go to the doctor when you have the flu? It has been so long since I've had it I can't remember if I went or if it just ran its course.
PS I am also pregnant.

greenfairy9

Asked by greenfairy9 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • If you're pregnant, you definitely need to notify the doctor and see what is recommended.

Our pediatrician told us that with the flu, one is contagious before symptoms are exhibited. Continue to take precautions, but yes, he's already been exposed and may get it....but it's not a "given" that he will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury. As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328