At ten months of age, should a baby transition to formula from breast milk or milk/goats milk?

I am pregnant and not producing enough to satisfy him. Currently I have been giving him goats milk, but I am constantly questioning whether this is the right choice. He still nurses, but I think it is more just the closeness and nurturing than anything. He doesn't have any allergies or sensitivities and has a very robust diet. Suggestions?

Walters21

Asked by Walters21 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor told me no milk until a year old, but I have seen a lot of thins lately so maybe it has changed. Probably ask your doctor. If your son gets enough nutrition from solids I imagine it would be fine to go to milk. Definitely ask the dr.
    greenfairy9

Answer by greenfairy9 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• sorry typo "thins" should be this
    greenfairy9

Answer by greenfairy9 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Any idea how much breast milk he is actually getting? Because if you are supplementing with table foods or baby foods and start with a liquid multivitamin, you may be able to put off the switch until one year, when it is recommended you start with milk or goats milk. I do know that there are less problems and concerns with goats milk than cows milk, so you may not have any issues with switching now. I would talk to you pediatrician and see what they say. You can just call and ask for a consult about it over the phone.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If he's actually eating table foods and has a pretty healthy diet, talk to the pediatrician about going to regular milk (or the milk of your choice if any). If he's not eating a lot of good table foods, formula would be better than goat or cow milk, based on what I've been told by OUR pediatrician for MY boys.

Definitely you should speak to your pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Officially you are supposed to give breastmilk or formula until 12 mo. I would not give a baby under 12 mo. any mammal milk because their systems are too immature to digest and assimulate it. It has to be processed by the liver and kidneys and can cause damage.

I think I would try to feed the baby a very healthy diet and organic formula (cows milk not soy.

You can call LLL and Leaders have people that they can ask questions like this.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I forgot to mention MDs have little or no training in nutrition or breastfeeding and are the last people you should trust on nutrition or breastfeeding advice. They literally my have 3 hours or less training about breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• And again, Gailll is full of misinformation. Maybe HER doctor has that little amount of training, but not all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I will say that I feel more comfortable talking to LLL or my midwife than my pediatrician. Everyone has a different opinion. Thank You for all of your suggestions!
    Walters21

Answer by Walters21 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2009