I need to know if I should call a doctor...

My son just turned 13 and once sometimes up three times a month he will wet the bed, He is such a heavy sleeper he sometimes needs to be shaken to be woke up. Is this something he will grow out of or should I be concerned. He has no health problems and no unusual stress in his life and as far as I know a normal teenage boy...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you should see a dr. They say bedwetting after age 8 should seek a dr for help cause it could be a problem with his body. How does he react to the wetting? Do his siblings know this is happening. how do you handle this?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You sure he is wetting the bed or is he just having "WET DREAMS"?

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• He is a only child and he does try to avoid telling me out right, he will say mom I need you to please wash my sheets and such, the thing that gets me is he just had a physical and everything is ok. I have bought a mattress pad and protects his bed but like I said it is only 1-3 times a month..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No it is definatly wetting the bed, But Thanks....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I certainly think it is something that you should talk about with his doctor. It may just be that he gets into too deep a sleep to wake. In that case, help him limit fluids before bed and remind him to use the bathroom before bed. I know, that seems like you are treating him like a child, but it may help. And he would probably prefer that to wetting the bed. Or it may be weak bladder muscles (my problem) for which he could get a prescription. I wet the bed probably once every three weeks or so when I wasn't careful about what I drank and how often I used the bathroom. I still have problems with leaking when I cough or laugh. But back then, they didn't have anything to help me really.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• He may have a small bladder, they have medicine that can help! I know he feels funny and shy about it, but he can't help it! I would make an appointment with the doctor and see if they can do anything,I can't tell if this has just started or something that has been ongoing, he may have bladder, kidney infection if this is a new development! Just please don't make him feel embarassed! My DH wet the bed until he was 14 and his mom always made him feel ashamed, you sound like a good mom who wouldn't do that, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was bedwetter. I wet the bed till I was 13. They took me to a doctor and told me I had a weak bladder. They put me on some pills and that didnt even help. I had to train my bladder. So I made a rule that I couldnt drink anything before bed. (At least 2 hours) That worked. After a while, that strengthened my bladdrer and I havent bed wet since!!! Ive been bet wetter free for 8 years!! Lol!!

Just dont embarrass him about it. Im sure hes already embarrassed enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My aunt brought my cousin to the doctors for this same reason when she was 11, and the doctor diagnosed it as diabetes. Apparently, thats a sign of diabetes in children. You could at least just call the doctor and ask about it. If they arent worried about it, then I wouldnt be worried.
    Chickpeas

Answer by Chickpeas at 10:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thank you so much for all the answers, I don't feel as worried and ANON 34 you are right it is a symptom of diabetes I am diabetic and so is my 7 year old niece and thats was what was going on with her when they found out when she was three. He was tested and his tests came back ok on the diabetes
    Anonymous

• Yeah your right I think he should see a doctor.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009