What is the going rate for babysitters now?

I have a sitter arranged to watch my 2 boys (ages 10 and 8) on Sat.
I haven't had to pay for a sitter in quite a while and I'm not sure what to pay her. The last time I paid for one I think I payed them $6 an hour.
I asked her and she said whatever I decided.

luvmypolywogs

Asked by luvmypolywogs at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• $6 sounds very reasonable for 2 kids the ages of yours. I usually pay $10, but I have 3 kids, including two that are still toddlers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• How long? How late? How old is the sitter? We pay $8 an hour for one boy, a minimum of $35, but our sitter drives to our house, if you have to pick her up and drop her off I would say $8 for 2 boys is fair. Good sitters are hard to find, and the better you pay, the better chance you have of her coming again! We only have one child. I would say $9 if she is driving herself to and from your house!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I am a professional sitter. I have been doing this for years. I charge $10/hour for up to 2 kids. This is because I have to drive myself to and from the place where I am working, and I bring activities and things to do with the kids, I don't just sit and watch them do whatever they want. For older kids I would consider reducing my rate because they don't need tending to like younger ones do. But, as a working woman, the money I make has to be worth my while to come out and $10 guarantees that.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I make $10 an hour. I have a child myself and anything else is not enough to take time away from my son and watch someone else's.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I charge (when I do sit) as well as will pay $10/hr. It is middle of the road fair.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My 14 year old is Red Cross certified (knows CPR and basic first aid) and has been charging $7 an hour for two, for the last 1.5 years. The going rate in Chicago is actually $8-10 an hour; she is raising her rate to $8 an hour for current families and $10 for new ones.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2009