Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OH CRAP!!! URGENT!!

My 14 month old was eating an apple. I wasn't paying too much attention, he is watching elmo having his snack I just listen for choking (I'm only 3 feet away).

He got to the core and didn't stop and ate a few seeds I think. I was always told apple seeds are poison. I don't want to freak out over nothing so are the poison or not?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (10)
  • no they r not poison. its okay to eat the seeds some people eat the seeds for the hell of it
    firstimemomm603

    Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Nope. They're not poison. Don't worry. Look out for Poinsettas (Sp?) though w/ Christmas coming up!
    kenzie07

    Answer by kenzie07 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • I once ate an entire apple, seeds and all. I have never heard that they were poisonous. It wouldn't be possible for them to poisonous since they are what apples trees are grown from. Theoretically, if apple seeds were poisonous, apples would be too. I really don't think there is an issue here.
    Mom1Stepmom1

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • not poison---just watch for him to grow apples in his belly---thats what my parents told me would happen if i ate the seeds :)
    bumblebeestingu

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Apple seeds are poisonous... but you would have to eat a very large amount of them.. Accidentally swallowing a few is fine. Also, if you eat them whole they are less likely to have any effect, if they are chewed thats when toxins are released. But, again, you'd have to eat a lot of them.. I think he will be fine. Just in case... symptoms of mild poisoning include headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety, and vomiting.
    hannahfoy

    Answer by hannahfoy at 10:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Not poisionious! My boys have eaten the plenty of times
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Google it.
    louise2

    Answer by louise2 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • I would not worry. I've never heard they are poisonous. I would just talk to him and make sure he doesn't eat them anymore, but I wouldn't worry about it.
    tropicalmama

    Answer by tropicalmama at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Yes, Apple Seeds and Cherry Pits are Poisonous
    Wednesday September 12, 2007
    In fact, if you eat enough apple seeds or cherry pits, you could die. Apple seeds contain cyanogenic acids. Cherry pits, and seeds from related fruits, including peaches, plums, almonds, pears, and apricots, contain cyanogenic glycosides. Your body can detoxify small quantities of cyanide compounds. If you accidentally eat a cherry pit in a pie or swallow an apple seed or two, you'll be fine. Actually, if you swallow several seeds whole, you would absorb a minimal amount of the toxic compounds. Chewing the seeds makes them much more hazardous to your health. Children and pets are much more likely to suffer poisoning from eating the seeds than adults.

    mzfam99

    Answer by mzfam99 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Found here:
    http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm
    mzfam99

    Answer by mzfam99 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN