What are some proactive things your child's school is doing to help stop the spread of H1N1 flu?

Besides washing their hands and teaching them to cough and sneeze into a kleenex or their sleeve.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter's school has a nurse on staff. She went around to every room and taught the children the proper way to wash their hands and made it fun at the same time. My daughter came home and taught me. Also, the teachers have hand sanitizer on hand for the children to use after all their classroom activities where they have to touch something that someone else has touched. Also, the teacher sanitizes every desk and table surface while the children are at lunch and at the end of the day. Teachers also encourage all the children to keep their hands to themselves and not touch others. They are very diligent at my daughter's school, and I am glad.
    workingmom2003

Answer by workingmom2003 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• the day care has hand sanatizer outside for parents to use when using the finger scanner to come in. I dont' use it. I think the hand sanatizer thing is overkill. Just wash your hands and do the basic normal things you would do to stay healthy. No need to panic over the flu. Plus, the hand sanatizer prevents the scanner from working properly anyway. And some of the parents are putting the hand sanatizer on their little kids hands (i'm talking around 1 year old). Last I heard, this had caused alcohol poisining.
    Anonymous

• i work at a school, i spray Lysol at night daily, we wipe the handrails, the door handles, the pencil sharpeners and keyboards with Clorox wipes everyday. we were almost closed about a month ago and when a school closes in OH for flu -- it is 2 weeks! that would make us work into the SUMMER! we are also sending anyone home with the slightest fever or cold symptoms. and the purell, the gallons and gallons of purell.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Sending sick kids home and not letting them return until they are symptom free without the aid of meds for 24 hours. Cleaning every surface in sight every few days,more if a lot of kids are getting sick. At this time, there are not a lot of kids getting sick. There is hand sanitizer to use on top of washing hands.

BTW, the risk of alcohol poisioning from sanitizer is small and only when too much is used and the hands are not rubbed together until the gel dries.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009