CE question : Why did you trash your house? Please answer anonymously.

I spent a good part of this year looking for a new home, but refused to buy the trashed foreclosures available. It was disgusting and heartbreaking for us the potential buyers and for the house that I feel has a personality all it's own. I am now looking for another home for a relative, and more properties are springing up foreclosed on, disgusting and ransacked. What was it that went through all of your minds to cause you to destroy homes to the point of bulldozing you couldn't afford? Now, someone like myself is left without the home we would have bought and loved and taken care of

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 10:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd guess it's people who aren't smart enough to understand how the process works. They think if they trash the house, the bank will get less money. They don't realize that the difference between the sale and the loan will be garnished out of their wages until it's paid off, and it will continue to accumulate interest until it's paid off. It's the same reason people will trash a car they know will get repo'd - no concept of what a contract actually means.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I've wondered about that too. Will be interesting to see the answers.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I really do not understand it either..I cannot live that way.In case of being poor even those folks can be clean and alot are.We are fixing up a home on our other property at this time and YEAH NASTY to say the least weve had to rip all the carpets out and we will be replacing holes in floors and rotted flooring...We just grab a sprayer and spray the entire inside down with KILZ..and to think the woman of the house was a NURSE! lol

Good luck on your house hunting
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Some people trash them just before they have to leave out of frustration I guess but I don't understand that either..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I heard that people do this because they are angry that their house is being taking away. Therfore, they trash it so it would be worth crap or way less than what they owe on it. My hubby works at a bank and deals with foreclosed homes...even some businesses that have been foreclosed on are a mess!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I like to think that we did all we could to prevent the destruction of our beloved home. In our case, we were vicitimized by a string of bad events... My DH got transferred from Mass. to TX right at the beginning of the housing market crash. We were not a part of that whole, "we got a balloon mortgage and couldn't afford it" group. We put the home up for sale and reduced it all the way down to $10,000 below the mortgage price (we were going to take the 10,000 hit and pay for it just to sell it). 6 months went by and we HAD to move or DH would lose the job. We were unable to afford the mortgage AND pay rent in TX, so we left it on the market and rented it out. Unfortunately, we were unable to manage the property properly and the renters TRASHED the home! I'm talking, turned the power off in the dead of summer with a stocked fridge and diapers in trash cans (this home was appraised at 300,000 before crash!!!) So, cont.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't understand either. I always wonder if they actually live in filth like that. I don't keep a perfectly clean house, but I couldn't imagine living in a house like some of the ones I've seen.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 11:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Well, I don't understand trashing it. I know I am about to lose mine, b/c they won't modify my loan to make my payments lower and took my payments for the last 4 months but now claim they are forclosing b/c I haven't paid, and there are some things like a couple of holes my kids put in a wall, some crayon marks that I haven't been able to get off, things like that that I am not going to bother to fix, but I have no intention of trashing the house.

I do know that in some areas, the houses are trashed by vandals. Kids, gangs, or whoever goes around and deliberately tears up empty homes, sometimes just for kicks, sometimes as initiation rituals, things like that. Maybe some of what you've seen is a result of that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• maggots were everywhere and it smelled SO bad! We had to hire ppl to clean it. It sat on the market for going on 2 years now. The Govt. took over the bank that held the mortgage and denied some buyers who wanted to do a short sale (our only hope of selling b/c there has been NO interested buyers in all this time!) So there it sat. Someone broke in and stole some appliances and the kitchen island. So, here we are in foreclosure 2 years later. So sad. We thought we had done everything right.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't understand it. From what I understand, when they foreclose on your home, I don't know exactly what it's called, but basically the worth of the house, or the difference between the loan and what they sell it for, is counted as income for you. So, if you trash it, they can't sell it for nearly as much, so you end up with the difference being counted as income and being taxed for money you never saw. Why would you do that? I've never been foreclosed on, so I don't know if that's right, but it's what I heard.

I do agree with anon, though, regarding that sometimes they are trashed by kids and such. We actually have some kids in our neighborhood that got arrested for trashing an empty house.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2009