do you have advice on become a WOHM -> SAHM/part-timer?

I work in the financial industry and have an hour commute each way into work. Leave my son at home with grandparents at about 8:30am then come home by 7pm on avg - just in time to play a little then bathe him and put him to sleep. sometimes, just bathe and put him to sleep. he's almost 2 yrs old. we can afford to be on one salary for a few years since we've saved up a lot. i'm thinking about asking my company to see if we can arrange something so i only have to work 3 days/week - and maybe one of those days from home. if they say no, maybe i'll just quit. I'm wondering if anyone has chosen to leave their jobs and what that transition was like. I do want to be at home with my son so I can take him to play groups (he has no social time during the week) and interact with other moms to share ideas on parenting, etc. But I don't know if I'll be unhappy with the sudden change. I'm not happy at my job. Any thoughts/advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• more importantly, i know this might be the best for my son - for me to be home and take him to classes part time to help with the socialization. he's very shy and still weary of strangers, and i wonder if it's because he's always just home w/ grandparents during the week, which is probably not the best arrangement for him. thanks for your advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When someone asks me what I do, I tell them I stay home of my child and I'm not in the least ashamed. I have learned that most people who don't think much of stay-at-home moms (SAHM) don't know what's involved and how much a family benefits and appreciates it. My child is only young once; I can get a career later on in life. I dont wanna miss out on my child's younger years. My suggestion is if you can affort it then go ahead with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Have you been looking for another job closer to home or with better hours? Hopefully your track record screams that you're an asset to the company and they will accept your offer/promise to continue to work just as hard and complete your work on time on your revised schedule and you'll be able to work from home a day or two and you can transition to staying home at a later date or not. If it's a decision you and your spouse both agree on, take the leap and stay home, the waters warm =). Keep in mind though that if you can't adjust to the sahm way of life how likely you'll be able to get another job should the need/want arise months or years down the line.

I left Corporate America and never plan to go back and I'm lovin' it!
    Sahm.I.am

Answer by Sahm.I.am at 11:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I tell people that I am a SAHM, and I do get some odd responses to that! "Oh, so you have no education?" I just tell the, Stay-at-home motherhood has changed me in many ways. I find the biggest challenge is setting the "right" example for my child and trying to be the perfect role model. teach them good values and show them love. Yes, working mothers can be wonderful mothers too. Its just hard to have lots of one-on-one time with your children when you work. I love being a SAHM and if you feel its right for you then jump into it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I had the same problem a few years ago. I lined up a part time job at a local pharmacy, only 2 days a week. That way I transitioned into being at home all the time. It worked really well for me. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Find someone to jobshare or propose telecommunting.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009