Benydryl?

Do they make benydryl for infants or only children? My 10 month old has a HORRIBLE cough and running nose. I took him to the dr and all they put him on was albuterol. I just want to be able to ease his cough cause he has a really sore throat. He cries when he coughs really hard. :( Any advice to help him?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't know about the benydryl.... but try bringing him a very steamy bathroom for like twenty minutes and then outside buddled up in the cool night air.... before bed... it helped significantly for my dd when she had a cough
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My 7 month old is taking benydryl right now for his cold. It was prescribed by his doctor though. I'm not sure if they make it over the counter for infants, maybe you should call his doctor and ask if they think it would help him, they might call him some in. I know some people are against it but I have been using a vaporizer in my son's room and it has helped him so much.
    I hope your LO gets to feeling better.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They do not make Benedryl for infants and its suggested that children not take it under the age of 6. My Dr., however, perscribed a small dose when my DD was an infant, so she would be calm on the airplane. She's 2 now and if she has severe runny nose from a cold, I might give her 1 tsp. as was directed by my pediatrician. It won't releive a sore throat or cough, just runny noses. Ask you pedi. if you should give him a small amount for the nasal drip.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• A doctor or better a pharmacist can tell you the dose for regular strength but you need to consult the doc to see if they recommend it at all.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• get a humidafire.... and put vicks vapor rub in it... (like mix it around) and let him breath that in... put it in his room at night.. and put some on his chest.. it will losen up the flem and reduce the cough! (IT REALLY WORKS)
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Benedryl is for allergies, not colds anyway. No, they don't make it for infants, but doctors can prescribe it and give you the correct dosage.

Albuterol will help open the airways so he can cough the crap out of his lungs.

Saline nose drops and suctioning for the nasal congestion.
    Run a cool mist or steam humidifier in his room to keep the congestion loose.
    Steam in the bathroom to help loosen it up and suction out the nose.
    Keep his head elevated so it's not pooling in his nasal passages. (towel under the mattress works well for us)
    Tylenol for discomfort.

You want it running, you don't want his symptoms masked by any cold/allergy medicine. It's the only way they get rid of the virus is for the mucous to get out of their system some how.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• GIve him time on the albuteral. It may sound worse after each treatment but that is a good sign. It means the airways are open and he is coughing up the mucus. You can use benydryl, but your doc needs to give you the correct does for your childs weight.
    Anonymous