What is the best thermomether for my children?

And where is he best place to take the temp? My child is 3 1/2 and he will only let me take his temp under his armpit and I understand rectal is better...

Barbara144

Asked by Barbara144 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Safety 1st 10 Second Digital Thermometer that can be used to take a child's temperature rectally, orally, or under their arm. I use this one and it work well. hope this helps.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• In general, you can take a temperature rectally in an infant or toddler and under their arm if they are over 3 months old. Once your child is 4 or 5 years old, you can use an oral digital thermometer. Keep in mind that an oral temperature is usually about 1/2 degree less than a rectal temperature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We use the ear thermometer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• In my experience the ear thermometer is the easiest, but since mine broke I've been using the under the arm method which is what they use at my ped's office for my baby. For my older kids, they use an oral, so I use that on them.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We use the one you slide across the forehead, on all of my kids, even myself. They are fairly accurate, and used by a lot of hospitals. It is easy, and the kids don't have a problem with them, or put up a fight!
    mommyof2lilmen

Answer by mommyof2lilmen at 8:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009