With the flu going around should i avoid going out in public with my newborn?

I have a 3 week old and am getting cabin fever from sitting inside all day. I was thinking of taking her to the mall. I'm nervous though about how serious the swine flu is right now. Would you risk it? Do you think she will be alright?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You do not have to be a hermit simply because you have a baby. Go at a time when it's not busy (around here mornings at the mall are practically dead) and make sure you take some hand sanitizer to clean up before you pick her up. Particularly if she's breastfed, she's getting some of your immunities and will be fine for short visits.

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't go in public anywhere with a newborn, you could stroll your newborn around outside or at the park if it's warm enough just to get out. I didn't leave the house for a month after my newborn was born, to build up her immune system.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes I would be careful taking a newborn out in public right now. My doctor suggested I shouldn't take my 10 month old around alot of ppl right now with the flu going around.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yea like the OP, i agree cause the mall is surrounded with germs and kids with colds...They never cover there mouthes, so wait a while.. if you go out just go in the backyard- (if u have one)!! I don't
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thirty years ago when my oldest was born we were told not to take our babies out in crowds for 6 weeks. I think that is good advice and I don't know why someone isn't telling new moms that now.

When you do go out you can wear your baby in a sling. That way the baby is protected by the fabric and people can't talk to or touch the baby.

If your baby is artificially fed its even more important to be careful. Human milk is actually like white blood. It contains white blood cells and other things like lysozymes and IgA to fight infection. Artificially fed babies don't have this protection.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• See if you can find a sitter, or go visiting at a relatives house (where no one is sick) instead. i will not allow my 5 month old anywhere besides home and grandma's house. I personally think it is too risky.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes. Newborns don't need to be in stores anyway. I agree with the PP about the park if the weather is nice or a relative or friend's house if no one is sick. Maybe you could leave the baby with your husband when he gets off work and go out by yourself. I know how you feel about wanting to get out but doing it with the baby during flu season is a big risk.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ya think?
    Anonymous

• I love how people with sarcastic, non-helpful responses always post them anonymously. Thank you everyone else for your answers. I appreciate your opinions.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2009