Ever wonder where certain phrases come from?

Like sicker than a dog. Or Whatever floats your boat. Its raining cats and dogs, beat around the bush, ax to grind, on cloud nine. You know, all of those that are relatively common knowledge, but don't make sense in an examination of the actual words.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle! I never really thought about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Here is a website called The Origin of Phrases. You can find out just about anything by doing a google search.

I'll be a monkey's uncle
    Meaning - Get off, it can't be true, I can't believe it, how can it be true?
    Origin - We must blame Darwin for this one. Or rather the non-believers in his theory.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-20-2005-68791.asp
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• http://www.brownielocks.com/wordorigins.html
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• LOL! I like the monkeys uncle one, reminds me of Beavis and Butthead do America, "Well I'll be a monkey's bare assed uncle!"
    Anonymous

• "You can't have your cake and eat it too." we all know what this implies, you have things both ways.. but if look at literally.. if I have cake you can bet I am going to eat it! It originally started as " You can't have Kate and Edith too" meaning you can't have 2 women, then over the years it morphed into cake and eat it..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2009