How do you know when its time.....

How do you know when its the right time to turn your baby's car seat around? My son is a year old and weighs 20.8 lbs his doctor says its okay but his daddy is worried hes not ready and isnt sure its safe or what the law (in Va) is about that so for now my lil boy stays facing back wards but his legs are long (tall for his age) and he kicks the seat in front of him so im thinking it might be time to turn him around. What do you think is the right time/age/weight to face his car seat forward and what can i tell my DH to make him feel that its the safe and right move?

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really you can leave him RF until he meets the weight restriction on the car seat...and until about age 2 they really don't have the neck strength required to keep from harm during an accident if FF. So while he is long, most kids will sit indian style anyway so leaving him RF is better if you can.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I knew it was time to turn my kids around when they were a year old and almost 30lbs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• There are rear facing car seats for up to 40 pounds. Rear facing is safest! Watch the videos on Youtube.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Joelsjourney.org
    Check that website out.
    Rear facing is safest. It doesnt matter that his legs touch the seat, its not as uncomfortable as you think. Ever prop your feet up on the dashboard?? I do when Im not driving. Its the same thing. BABIES should remain rear facing to limits of their carseat, for most that is 35lbs. There are even seats that go up to 40 lbs. There is nothing you can tell your DH to convince him, because he is right. Your son is not ready. He is 5X safer rear facing than forward facing. At his age, if you were to be in an accident, he weighs 20 lbs and if the car is moving 40 mph,he would be thrown forward with 800 lbs of force! His neck could not withstand that and he would be internally decapitated. His skull would rip from his spine, this usually results in death, but some kids are lucky and survive and just remain paralyzed... Leave him rear facing...and Props to your hubby
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Oh. Doctors are not certified in carseat safety. Do not go to them for advice. I mean, I wouldnt ask my carseat tech if my child had the flu.
    There is a fabulous carseat safety group on here filled with EXPERTS on carseat safety and they are CERTIFIED. If you have any questions come check us out over there.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My daughter is 15 months and 26lbs. We bought a Graco Nautilus for a second seat, but since it is only forward facing, we are not using it yet. Our current seat goes up to 35lbs, so I will keep her turned until 35lbs or 2 years old . . . whichever comes first. I'm sure she won't gain 10lbs in the next 9 months though, so we'll probably just wait until her 2nd birthday. I love the Nautilus and I can't wait to use it. We put her in the display one in the store and she cried when we took her out, so we know she likes it too! I wanted to get a second rear facing carseat, but the good ones are so BIG. I wanted her next seat to be her last and the Nautilus can be used until 100lbs. We are NOT ready to turn her around yet. She doesn't mind rear facing and doesn't know anything else, so it works for all of us. The only thing I don't like is not being able to see her, but no biggee. Her safety is what's most important.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'd turn him around.

Anonymous

• The law in states where there is a law is usually 1 year old AND 20 pounds. However, rear-facing is safest no matter how old you are or how much you weigh. The best thing to do is keep him rear-facing until he reaches the weight/height limits on his carseat. If you don't want to do that, then it's legally ok to turn him forward-facing at any time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes listen to youtube! Seriously people... do you believe EFFING EVERYTHING you see online. RFing is safer... but do some real research on which wouldn't include youtube/opinion sites like cafemom... where you can post any kind of info you want.

Anonymous