What do you think of sick children at school?

My son went back to school this year. Pre-k. Since he started he has been perpetually sick. He is never this sick. He has play date we are hardly ever home and he's fit as a fiddle. But he starts going to school and he is sick every week. And I have been keeping him home when he was sick. Especially when he had an ear infection. So he got better and I sent him back to school and not even two days later he's sick again! I asked him if anyone is sick in his class. He named off 4 children in his class of 15 that are sick! Why would you send your sick child to school? You know they are going to make others sick. And with this whole swine flu thing going around (which IS in my county btw) WHY? I am so sick of having to pay for doctors visits medicine and tuition to a privet school my son only attends half the time because you let you nasty sick child come to school and get everyone else sick!

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know how you feel my daughter came home Friday sick and I kept her home Monday, well Monday my son came home sick snezzing and with a headache and I kept him home yesterday and today he has a fever. Today the school called that why wasnt AJ in school I told her why and all they said was oh just send a note. I heard from some parents that there was a couple of kids with the swine flu and they did not tell us. His in the 4th grade and Vivianne is in 1st. I go drop them off and you see all the kids coughing and sneezing and even the parents that are dropping them off, I feel like telling them to leave the cafeteria I don't want them getting my child sick.
    Mari.Moreno

Answer by Mari.Moreno at 6:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• *cont.* And it clearly says in the hand book that any child with cold or illness symptoms is not allowed at school and will be sent home immediately. WTF? why are they still there making MY son sick? I am so annoyed! I'm about to call the kids parents and tell them if they can't keep their ill child home then they will be paying for my son medical expences when he gets sick from their child!
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I WONT SEND MY CHILD TO SCHOOL IF SHE IS SICK. I HOME SCHOOLED MY DD LAST YEAR AND SHE NEVER GOT SICK AND THIS YEAR SHE WENT BACK TO SCHOOL AND SHE HAS BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 12 DAYS. 8 OF THOSE WAS WITH THE FLU THAT SHE GOT WHILE AT SCHOOL. SOME PARENTS JUST CAN'T AFFORD TO TAKE THERE CHILD TO THE DOCTOR EVERYTIME THEY ARE SICK. IF THEY MISS SCHOOL THEY HAVE TO HAVE A DOCTORS NOTE TO BE EXCUSED.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my kids hand book doesn't say anything about a cold, but if they have a fever they cannot come back to school unless they are 24 hrs without a fever with no meds. right now both my kids have colds and they are at school.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• To me that's not my problem. My concern is the health and well being of MY child. I pay a good amount of money for him to attend a privet school and he has missed half the year catching what everyone else was sick with.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• the school should be enforcing the rules in the handbook, at the very least you could call the school and voice your concerns about it.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think it's another reason we are looking at homeschool. I also think it's because a lot of parents have both parents working outside the home and can't afford the time off to care for sick children, which is really sad. And if that's not enough, I blame the schools. Partially for not sending sick children home, partially for having such strict attendance policies that some parents are afraid to keep their kids home for worries that it will hurt their grades.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I won't send my children to school if they are clearly sick, but the thing you have to remember is that with a lot of illnesses, by the time symptoms show, you have already been contagious and spread it. I do agree that when a child is clearly sick, they shouldn't be at school, but if they're contagious before showing symptoms, there's not really much you could do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I understand completely! my son is attending Pre-k this year and was never sick!!! after the 2nd time in class he was sick. He's been out of school 2 weeks and tomorrow he gets goes back. He's healthy again but now I wonder how long it will take for him to be sick again. I just wish they, the staff would take a clorox cleaning wipe and wipe things down, like door knobs and art supplies that everybody shares, even the toys should be wiped.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree it is one of the top 10 reasons to homeschool.

Kids your son's age are too young to go to school because of their immune systems. They should not be in that kind of group situation. You are making him sick and wasting your money.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009