How can i get my son to eat more?

Kayden used to eat alot when he was younger but for a while now he hasnt been eating a whole lot he wont eat baby food at all which is fine cause he's one and old enough to eat more solids he has 8 teeth so it shouldnt be a problem but he wont let me feed him anything on a fork or spoon. He only wants things he can hold and eat himself. I try to sit him in his high chair and give him things like chicken nuggets fruits and veggies but he just doesnt want to be in the chair anymore and hardly eats anything before he just start dropping things on the floor and getting mad. Right now a regular day for him is about 4 bottles or more and a few crackers here and there and he eat a few bites of whatever im eating be it veggies or meat, or noodles whatever. I just think he isnt eating enough to be healthy my mum tells me well leave him be he'll eat when hes hungary but it makes me feel like a nad mom when my son hardly eats anything.

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son went through the same thing i even went to the docotrs they said he is perfectly fine and he will eat when he is good and ready too if you think he isnt eating enough to stay healthy gerber makes a milk based nutritional drink or u can buy nutripals both of them will be found in the baby isle in the grocery store
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with your mom he will eat when hes hungry.. My son is 16mo and theres days where he will eat like a pig and others where he might only eat a handful of cherrios so I wouldnt worry he will eat when hes hungry..
    thedivinemizm

Answer by thedivinemizm at 11:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Your mom is right: he'll eat when he's hungry. In the mean time, offer him regular meals and snacks with plenty of finger foods from the basic food groups. Don't be afraid to give him his own fork so he can practice/experiment etc. (It's easier to learn to eat with a fork). When trying the spoon, give him thick foods that'll stay on the spoon well like yogurt mixed with cheerios and mashed potatoes.
    Is he still on formula? If he is and he's under a year, that's still his main source of nutrition. If he's over a year, then table food and whole milk should be his source of nutrition. Talk to your pediatrician about this.
    You could also try putting him in a booster seat right up to the table. That may make him feel more like he's a part of the meal and will get you a little more interest in sitting/eating.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009