Pitocin

I read on another mommy to be's post that pitocin was "crap" (as she put it).
I dont understand. What's the deal with pitocin? Has anyone had any bad experiences with it?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with pitocin. If I had to do it over again, I would have refused the induction

Pitocin causes much more intense and frequent contractions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ive had it with both my kids and i didnt have anything bad happen
    thedivinemizm

Answer by thedivinemizm at 11:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Nope... I've had 4 good experiences with it. It speeds up your contractions and makes your labor experience shorter than it would normally be. I was happy with it.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• uhm pretty much anyone thats had it has had a bad experience really..it makes the contractions 100 times worse then they already are much stronger faster and harder
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It makes contractions stronger. You have to have it by IV. I don't think you can get out of bed. I don't remember getting out of bed. Few people can stand labor with pitocin without an epidural.

I had two babies with no interventions - nothing at all. My third birth was high risk and I had pitocin. I didn't need an epidural but I had childbirth educator training and years of experience with meditation.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i had that with my second baby and had no problems with it .it worked good and did not affect anything
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My water broke and I never started contracting on my own so I had to have the pitocin or have a csection! My contractions never seemed to stop... but I was very happy with the fact i was able to deliver naturally
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 12:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My water broke and my contractions weren't very strong at all so I had Pitocin to get things moving more quickly. Turns out I had two bags of water, so if after the second bag was broken by the midwife, would my contractions have gotten stronger on their own? Possibly, but I'll never know. Since this was my first, I have no other birthing experience to base the contractions on. I didn't really have a bad experience with it, though. I mean the contractions were pretty painful there for while, but probably the worst thing was that for a couple of the contractions the contractions seem to go straight from one to another so there was no time for me to rest. I didn't have an epidural and I was able to move around. I sat in a rocking chair for awhile, then on a birthing ball, and then on the bed at the end. I was going to get in the shower or bath but I was too far along at that point.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I should mention that the nurse and doula were going to have me in the shower or bath without the midwife knowing. Because of the IV I wasn't suppose to, but it was as if the midwife knew, but was going to stay away so she had nothing to do with it. Kind of like the military's don't ask don't tell policy where you know who's gay anyway. The nurse examined me, though, and it turned out it was soon time to start pushing, so it didn't happen anyway.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Risks of using Pitocin
    Mother
    Mothers using Pitocin frequently report increased pain with contractions. Most mother using Pitocin also use pain medication to handle the increased pain.
    Pitocin use requires continuous monitoring to detect complications and/or progress which interferes with mobility.
    Pitocin use requires an IV for administration.
    Pitocin use can cause long contractions and contractions with double peaks.
    Pitocin use slightly increases the possibility of a uterine rupture.
    Pitocin use increases the likelihood of a fetal malpresentation or malposition.
    Pitocin use is associated with an increased need for cesarean surgery for distocia and fetal distress.

Baby
    Pitocin use increases the likelihood of depressed fetal heart rate patterns.
    Pitocin use increases the chances of Fetal Distress due to decreased oxygen availability.
    There are increased risks to your baby if you have a c section

Anonymous