This is neglect........

Yesterday, my friend called me to vent about her hubby being mad at her, she had no idea why he was angry & insisted she did nothing wrong, he should be supportive.
Her hubby woke her up & told her he was going to work, but she went back to bed. Their 3 y/o went outside by herself. When she woke up, she couldn't find her. She ended up looking for her for 45 minutes before a friend brought her back. She had wandered over to this friend's house.
3 hours later the girl goes out again, to the playground. Mom did not notice she was gone for over an hour.
2 hours after that, the girl goes out again & goes to the friends house that she went to earlier. Mom doesn't notice again. So the friend starts texting the mom, they talk for 1/2 hour before friend tells mom the girl is there.
The bad part is there is a chain lock at the top of the front door, lock it. Or pay attention.
Constructive, please! What would you say to her? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• make up a story about recent kidnappings in the area and maybe that would wake her up that is just fricken ridiculous my childis never out of my sight if icant findhim just sweeping my eyes across my living room i freak out wondering where in the house he is i couldnt imaginenot knowing for an hour let alone not even caring where he is for an hour.....some people need to wake up
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• OMG. that child is going to end up missing. thats so sad. i would call social services on her. i hate to say it. but thats so sad. what if she went to a strangers house :( i hope someone helps out bc it seems as if she doesnt care at all..seriously, a 3 year old! needs to watched all the time. up until they are 6 or so. i would say u dont know what they will do. GL
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 11:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would flat out tell her she is being irresponsible. There are consequences for her not taking care of a child.
    How would you feel if something happened to the child knowing how the mom is not being a mom? Consequences. "what if"
    Warn her for sure.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything to her, I would call Child Services.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything. I'd call child protective services. 3 times? are you kidding? and she can sit on the phone and text without knowing where her child is? Is she on drugs? I can't even fathom not seeing my kids for 1/2hour and not even thinking about where they are. Your friend is a moron.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Be honest and truthful OMG that poor kids gonna get hurt she is being irresponsible and not doing a good job.
    thedivinemizm

Answer by thedivinemizm at 11:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would tell her she needs to watch her child. What if it was a pedifile to find her daughter before she got to the friend's house.I know she is your friend and you don't want her mad at you but that is ridiculous. A woman who lives in my apartment complex had her children taken away (ages 5 and 7)by CPS because they were playing at the park (about 500 feet from their apartment) alone for over an hour.
    She doesn't need to figure how to keep her in, she needs to figure out how to stay awake and watch and make sure her daughter doesn't go outside.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• 3 times in one day would mean a call to CPS in my book. My kids have slipped out the back door before when I'm in the bathroom, but I find them as soon as I discover they're missing, which is the second I come out of the bathroom. There is no way I would go a half hour or an hour without wondering where my child was. Heck, they play in the bedroom more than 5 minutes with no noise and I'm checking on them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i would take her kid and not tell her i have her then wait till dad gets home, that oughta start some awarness
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would find a kidnapping story and print it out for her to read. I would also find a story about a mother or babysitter that was arrested for not noticing a child was gone. This can't be the first time this has happened. It's hard to say "call child protective services" because she is going to know it was you and then you won't be able to help because she will either never speak to you again or retailate against you. Unless you do suspect she is under the influence of something, which may be the case...what else could she be doing that she just doesn't notice that her daughter isn't around? Also what does the father want to do about it? If he thinks she will do it again he is being irresposible to leave the child in her care every day.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009