Have you been afraid to introduce your So or Dh to your family?

I have been dating my boyfriend for close to a year now, and we are supposed to go to my dad and step mom's house for a Halloween party this weekend. I am very hesitant to introduce my guy to them, not because he isn't a great guy but there is a large age difference between us. I am 28, my boyfriend is 48 and my dad is 44, so I feel so ackward to be bringing someone home that is older than my own father. I am just looking for some advice on how to go about this.
Have you ever been nervous to bring your man to meet your family for the first time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• If you feel that wrong then why are you with him. You have to stand up for what you feel is right. Your SO age has nothing to do with it. Your father is going to be wondering if he is a good guy or not, Not what his age is. Take it from me I feared a lot of things and my dad told me that he only wants me to be happy and if that is what I am then he is on board. You are 28 years old, not 18. It will be fine. I understand being nervous, but you are an adult and need to fight for what you want in your life. GOOD LUCK TO YOU and I hope it is a great time.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• AWKWARD!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yep I was nervous---but I figured what's the worse that can happen? What kind of relationship could we really have w/o him meeting my family?
    Good luck---they might have some hick-ups @ first but if he really is a good guy your dad will come around in time---
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would never be with a man that I was that nervous about introducing to my family. I was when I was younger, I was right that they turned out to hate him, and I regret every minute I ever spent with him. Your family wants what is best for you, if they don't like him I would definitely listen to their reasons and consider why they feel the way they do.

Answer by missanc at 1:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• This is a tough one. But really, if he is not abusive to you and you care about each other, then maybe it is none of your family's business. You are 28 years old so you can choose who you are with. I have seen far too many good relationships ruined because one's family decided who was or was not good enough to go out with their relative. Not one time was it any worry of actual substance. It was an age difference of two adults, a social class difference, or even they just didn't like that the person their relative introduced had a life of their own and didn't base everything from waking to going to sleep around this family. If this really is a good guy, hang on to him. So what if he is older? Surely your dad just wants you to be happy.
    Anonymous