anyone built onto their home,can u give idea of cost?

I live in a small older place and do not have room for another child but i just recently found out i am pregnant with my 2nd. we plan to build on a lot but we havent had the money to do so yet.since i am pregnant though we could borrow the money and finally build on but i dont know how much. i was thinking of just adding 2-3 rooms on and that would get us by for awhile. I was just wondering if any of you have added onto your place and a idea of what u did and the cost to give me ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you and your dh planning on doing any of the work yourselves? We had a GC, but my dh "built" our 3rd floor (it was unfinished), had a friend do the wiring - I'm sure it was a lot less than having to pour a foundation and start from scratch, but you can save a lot doing the framing, drywalling, and painting yourself!

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes my boyfriend can do it all he knows how. we just need 3 bdrms. added on for my daughter,the baby and the 3rd could be a toy/play room.
    Anonymous

• The cost will all depend on where you live. We added about 800 sq feet to our house and although I don't remember the exact cost I can tell you this.................IT WILL COST MORE THAN YOU EXPECT!

If a contractor is doing the work, get an estimate and then add another 30% or 40%. If you are doing the work, estimate your material costs and add 20%.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We spent almost 60k adding 2400sqft 14 years ago we didn't do the concrete or shingle on the roof by our self but everything else we did. I belie e that there are online estimation sites then double it it would be much better to have extra in your construction loan then come up short
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 1:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You will definitely save money by acting as your own general contractor. You will need to hire and coordinate the subcontractors, pull permits, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009