Failure To Thrive

My daughter is having a hard time gaining the right amount of weight but she is hitting all of her milestones and is a happy baby. Would she still be considered failure to thrive?

holls85

Asked by holls85 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-73 Credits)
  • No, just b/c she isn't a certain weight doesn't mean anythig is wrong. My daughter has always been in the lower percentile in weight, she eats and drinks her milk like she is supposed to, and she is a very smart and happy baby, she's just petitte.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Need more info. How old? Has she been dropping on the growth curve? Below the 3rd percentile? Growth in head circ? Breast or formula? Eating solids?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• MommaRox is right but my kids are in the higher percentile but just because shes small does mean shes failing to thrive now if she was not hitting her milestones then she could be considered as failing to thrive but if your really concerned talk to her doctor.
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Gailll doesn't need more information. Your pediatrician does, though. S/he is the one to whom you should be addressing these concerns.

But no, in general, just not gaining the "right" amount of weight doesn't mean FTT
    Anonymous

• I"m not concerned, the doctors are. Long story short, she was gaining perfectly until two months, then she lost 11oz and after many "experiement" that the doctors suggested she is finally gaining weight but he wants her to be gaining at least a pound a week. She's bf and has solids three times a day (that's actually what got her to gain weight). They want her to see a specialist but I want to continue the solids and see how it goes. She doesn't take to formula (projectile vomits) so my only concern would be an allergic reaction to something in the formula that would be in other drinks when she's off bm.
    holls85

Answer by holls85 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• A pound a week? That can't be right. Since the baby is on solids the baby sould be over 4 months and the most you would expect a bf baby to gain is a pound a month.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

I would see the specialist. If you don't do what the doctors say they may hospitalize the baby against your wishes and do whatever they want including feeding tubes. They can even keep you from seeing the baby.

If you don't agree with the doctors you have now you should try to find other doctors.

Failure to thrive is weight consistently below the 3rd to the 5th percentile for age.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I've changed doctors twice because the two before just wanted me to try formula and not breastfeed. Does anyone else find that messed up that people can take away your kids without having actual proof that it's something the parents are doing. I've done everything in my power to get her to gain weight and it pisses me off because I keep hearing that if I don't do what the doctors tell me then they'll take away my child. Her weight has been below the 5th percentile for about four months and now is right at 5th percentile.
    holls85

Answer by holls85 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If your baby is on solid and breastfeeding then i'm assuming the child is 6 months old or so? For them to expect a pound a week is just ridiculous, it is perfectly normal for a breastfed child to slow down in weight gain during the second 6 months of their lives.
    You can not expect a pound a week from a 6 month old, even a formula fed 6 month old will not gain a pound a week. Honestly i would be looking for a new doctor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was always told by my DD's pedi that what is important is that they STAY at a certain percentage. Continually dropping, or fluctuating is what's unhealthy.

I know you said you've already changed pedi's, but I would change again. How can they compare your child to a chart MADE for FF babies in the first place? That's ridiculous. My baby's pedi doesn't even use those unless the parents ask.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009