out of curiosity, why the fight over who is "right"?

when it all comes down to proof of existence, and there is none- why the outright disregard for others beliefs in defense of your own? at the cost of sounding ignorant, it is just that (ignorance) which upsets me. not that others believe in what they do, or believe that they are right, but that their ignorance is dangerous to society.
i have to be extremely tolerant in my personal life, for the sake of maintaining ties to my blood relations. however, i also issue respect for others belief out of the sense of mutual regard which i assume exists between sane, rational people. it appears that being sane, rational, and tolerant are not possible when ignorance is in the equation.
yet those on the other side of the fence constantly accuse non believers of 'attacking' their beliefs system. how is that possible when, for the most part, they sit quietly until directly provoked? *sigh* mind boggling...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• HERE! HERE!
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Being that I am from a mostly pentecostal area of the country, People around here believe more of what other people have told them, rather than going out and doing research to find out what they actually believe on their own. I've lost quite a few friends because they asked me for my opinion and didn't agree with me.(I did not need these people anyway) I am a proud agnostic with my own set of beliefs. But I am not one to throw my opinions off on other people unless asked directly. I know most of my friends and family believe different than me, to me that is fine, how I expect things to be. But usually when people go out of their way to ask me what I think they get offended by my answers, this I do not understand.

Anonymous

• I've come to realize that, many people ( it SEEMS mostly Christians) do not like even being questioned about their beliefs; even when done in a sincere way. I think knowledge is power, and gives us the choice to respect or not to respect.
    When people close the door down to open discussion about beliefs, it becomes about securing themselves and what they "know" is right...and in order to feel good about that they have to try to prove others wrong.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No one knows for a fact who is truly 'right'... We won't know till we actually die ;-) I am Christian, but non-denom, so I don't practice all of the rules of most organized religion. I believe in God and JC and I believe in being kind, loving, and trustworthy. I get frustrated when folks say that their way is the best way, even my fellow Christians. I take comfort in knowing that the folks who are so pushy w/ their beliefs are not the majority. Love, compassion, trustworthiness, and understanding transcends all else, so in my book, if you possess these qualities, you're doing fine, no matter what else your beliefs are.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i agree. fighting accomplishes nothing & is a total waste of energy. now good debate & questioning are worthwhile, but like you said only w/ sane rational ppl.

many Christians are threatened by others not believing the same as them. i dont consider it ignorance, just laziness b/c most Christians have never had to think about why they believe...and most dont even want to (like my DH). so when a question is asked that requires them to think they freak out and respond in anger. ive found that most ppl dont like to think...from all beliefs haha

as far as Christians feeling attacked...sometimes questions are not asked with good intentions (i can think of 2 ladies on this site alone) or if they mean well they are full of attacking words like "brainwashed" or "ignorant". but i have found this isnt the norm, and it isnt fair to judge all by one person's actions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Here's the thing......we all, every single person on the planet, think we are "right." Why else would you believe in what you believe in if you didn't think you were right about your beliefs? Do I think that justifies anyone to be rude, inconsiderate, or ignorant? No. But even saying that you believe we all worship the same God and that every religion or belief is "right" if it is "true" for that individual is still saying that YOU think YOU ARE RIGHT and that those who disagree are wrong. I have no problem with someone holding beliefs different than my own, but I expect to be treated with respect in regards to my own personal beliefs and will extend that same courtesy to everyone else. I will also agree, that in general, I have found on this site (not IRL) that other Mom's calling themselves to be Christian tend to be of the most intolerant and obnoxious variety. I will gladly answer anyone's questions about my own faith
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• as best as I can but I won't always be able to provide an answer that is satisfactory to anyone else but myself. God has proven Himself enough to me for me to be secure in my beliefs. I can't personally deny him anymore than I could convince anyone else that my blue eyes are actually fluorescent orange. I enjoy learning why other people believe what they believe even while it will never sway my own faith. It helps me to gain perspective and understanding and in a lot of cases just builds my own personal faith. Anyway......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• over the last few months on cafemom I have found atheist and pagans to be JUST as defensive and stubborn on proving Christians wrong. your right mind boggling
    Anonymous

• thank you ladies for being frank, and honest!

i posted this initially anon, to see what kind of a response i got- since it seems, that seeing a question posted by me, the trolls come out in force. i guess the assumption is made that i am only trying to stir the pot. when, genuinely, i like to have active and stimulating discussion. unfortunately, that means asking controversial questions, sometimes, with an unfortunate result.

regardless of my beliefs, i try my darndest to be respectful of others, even to the point of tapping out of a discussion before i say something regrettable.

i do not believe that i'm "right", but that we all have beliefs that serve our own purposes, and that they are equally correct to those who hold them. the only exception is when beliefs become harmful to others...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Your first sentence is the reason why others fight to show they are right!
    Anonymous