Should you clean a dwarf russian hamster's cage once a week?

My mom bought the hamster and she talked to the pet store people,I'm just wondering if she came up with the idea to clean the cage once a week ,since she's a neat freak or do you think 2 weeks is better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I think 1 time a week is good. They tend to smell up the house. Try to weeks see if it goes that lon with out smelling.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Once a week should be fine. I have a teddy bear hamster (they are a lot bigger than dwarf hamsters) and I scoop the wet bedding from his cage daily and then change all the bedding once each week.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Oooh, those are Sooo cute. If hamsters lived longer, we'd always have one. I can't handle their short life span. Having had many of them, I can tell you that they are stinky little critters and once a week is more than necessary! 2 weeks - no way!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yeah if I had known you had to clean the cage one time a week I wouldn't of bought it,to me that's a responsible job and my daughter who's 7,isn't up for it.
    Anonymous

• It poops on it's plastic wheel and the poop sticks on it and makes it hard to clean--at least mice use the metal ones and their poop falls on the shavings.Originally I wanted a mouse but they don't tame well?
    Anonymous

• We had mice- they tamed just fine, but they are 'runners.' They would be hard for a child to handle because they are very nimble and speedy. Once a week sounds about right for cleaning- more if they smell bad. Males tend to smell more than females- I used to change my female mice once a week, but the one time I had a male I had to do it more often. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I've had hamsters, gerbils, and now rats, and you most definitely will have to clean the cage ATLEAST once/week. They stink! lol I clean out my rats' cage every 5 days, but it actually starts to smell on the 3rd or 4th day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When we had hamsters we cleaned the cage at the least once a week, sometimes we would try to do it twice. Rabbits/bunnies are the same, at the least once a week, both animals can be potty trained and end up with one corner they go potty in.  One thing I've learned owning such cage animals is if your cage is put together to where you can move around the top half try to remember how it was when you took it apart to clean so the potty the area isn't placed near their food area.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I cleaned mine about once a week. She just got too stinky. If I didn't have enough bedding/ time to fully change the cage every week then I would just mix the new bedding in with the old and try to get out the bad parts.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2009